How experienced are you?

arctic

How would you describe you Linux knowledge?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. How would you describe you Linux knowledge?

• Newbie. This is my first taste in Linux. I am still lost in space.
    • Freshman. No idea of bash and system layout, but I know Konqueror.
    • Sophomore. I have a basic idea of Linux but still need to learn a lot.
    • Junior. I know my way around the filesystem and hack some files.
    • Senior. Hacking config files? Troubleshooting? User support? I love it.
    • Guru. Coding new drivers, bugsolving, bash commands. My home.
    • Genius. I build my own Linux system from scratch with closed eyes.

I know what you mean,

I can type with my eyes closed (well, almost :P) through xorg.conf, because I had problems with my ATi card and now I know xorg.conf very well, but there are conf files which are entirely unknown to me, because I've never had problems with them in the first place.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a newbie. Linux what? CLi? gui? What are you talking about?

quick, create a new category for ix. i cant pin the correct word for it but its synanymous to memory loss due to old age. :lol2:

ciao!

:lol2:

It's not the years; it's the milage!

Indiana Jones :bvc:

I have to vote Junior.  I've only been using since Feb/March 2005 and I have so much more to learn yet!!!

I keep trying different distros but I can't seem to get the hang of them, so I'm always using Mandrake/Mandriva which I feel more at home with, and know what I'm doing (to some extent) :P

Uh, Ian, surely you're one of the most Senior self-described Juniors around here! Troubleshooting? User support? You do that here every day! Hacking config files? (your xorg.conf advice). I'd consider myself a Junior, but surely you are a Senior!

.....but Ian surely is a senior

:D

Thanks, your both too kind :P.

I probably can be on some things, but other things, I'm a newbie :D So I figured I fell into Junior for the pluses versus negatives!

• 1 month later...

I didn't actually vote because I find I'm up/down ... somedays I feel like a beginnner and others like a guru ... largely dependent if what Im am trying to do fails or not....

Like solarian said I know some config files upside down because they caused me hassle i the past...

Writing a bash script is largely just stringing together sections of bash you normally type at the CLI and adding some varaibles... not rocket science once you start.

However really being a guru is near impossible because things keep changing. I haven't used mandr-ake since the name change at all and barely since 10.0 so my knowledge of the way mandriva does some stuff differently to Debian is completely lacking.

When I first went to Debian i felt like a complete noobie again ... I thought I was a Guru but couldn't get X to work for a long time :D largely just because I didn't understand the package system in Debian being a lot finer grained than Mandrake and also holding your hand more... it kept warning me it was installing lots of deps where mandrake wouldn't and so I panicked and I could have just done apt-get kde and installed everything!

Its also getting harder and harder to understand what is going on... I tried Suse yesterday and its less like linux than BSD... you can't do anything without using YaST which decided not to work with my vmware ethernet card and dhcp. IMHO Suse should not call it linux anymore because the whole OS is just a big cancerous growth around YaST. Needless to say you need to be a real expert to get Suse to do anything it doesn't do itself first time so I managed to get the network working by hand but since its suse Ill probably have to do it everytime by hand because YaST will change it back.

Hence its hard to judge what level I am... i can't even set-up a network interface in Suse yet I can do the same thing in any debian or source based distro with my eyes closed. Wel I can do it in Suse its just Suse knows better than me and will wreck it next reboot ???

As a consequence if you include suse as being a real linux distro and not just a shell built around YaST then I am a complete noobie... Im moving backwards ... yet real distro's still allow me to feel like most of the stuff I learned isn't wasted ... I also feel like whereas before I edited a file and went forwards now its one step forward and 2 steps back ... I could point to 2-3 threads right now where MCC has screwed everything up and because its being too clever won't allow them to be fixed and when they are fixed automatically de-configures them. Its hard to feel like a guru when a dumb program thinks it knows which interface is eth0 and eth1 better than you do!

I guess this is the trend ... make Linux increasingly stupid with SW like MCC and YaST so that people who are self-taught can no longer be Guru's and you need to go on distro specific training courses just to get to the level you were last year.

Maybe, but that means that those knowing the ins and outs of the system and the CLI, will have a much easier time getting recruited for Linux jobs in the future. Of which there'll be no shortage in the future!

<snip>

I guess this is the trend ... make Linux increasingly stupid with SW like MCC and YaST so that people who are self-taught can no longer be Guru's and you need to go on distro specific training courses just to get to the level you were last year.

I fully understand you, Gowator. Lots of things I learned in Mandrivalinux or Suse or Fedora/RedHat weren't of any use in e.g. Debian or Slackware, so I also had to start over again. The horrible result is that I sometimes suggest a solution on some forum-questions that will work e.g. in Slackware, but not on e.g. Ubuntu or vice versa. But I think this is the price we have to pay when we talk about accepting the "freedom of choice" in Linux. I tried to master all systems but miserably failed and feel sometimes like a noob when logging into e.g. Slackware or Yoper after using e.g. fedora exclusively for several weeks or months. And then there are those many many commands and solutions that you once knew but only applied once or two times in your life and (logically) forgot. And then, two years later, someone asks for the trick that you forgot three weeks ago.... Linux life sucks at times. :P