Problem installing Mandriva?

jmr0311

I want to upgrade to Mandriva 2006 from Mandrake 10.0 in my system. I read that if you have a "boot.iso" disk is a matter of following the prompts and selecting the right mirror and you are good to go. I downloaded one from this link (http://mirrors.kernel.org/mandrake/...images/boot.iso) and burned into a CD, but when I put it in my computer and reboot the system the screen came up asking me if I want to upgrade or else and I select "upgrade". When I did this the screen change and in the top of my screen a message caame out saying that my CPU could not support "Long Mode". Also says something about being 32 bits. I don't know if this is happening because of the boot. iso I got has incompatibiity issues. Does anyone know where can I find another boot.iso file?, Can anyone help me understand my problem and How to fix it? Thanks very much in advance.

This is a quote of the message:

Your CPU does not support long mode. Use a 32 bit distribution.

Jose

I think you have a 64bit version of the boot iso. You need the 32bit version instead. Search your earlier website and I think you will find the 32 cersion there as well.

What the system is saying is that you do not have one of the newer 64 bit CPUs yet.

Cheers. John.

as others before my pointed out you seem to have a x86-64 bootiso, look for something that is labelled ...i586.iso, and yes a fresh install is recommended, if I remember correctly updates from systems before 10.0 wouldn't even work

How can you do a clean install?. What you guys are saying is that I have to erase mandrake 10.0 from the linux partition or that I have to re-format the linux partition, so I can get rid of it. CAn you guys give the command lines I need to this task, I will greatly appreciated. Thanks

Jose

After the install you can direct rpmdrake to one of the distribution sources and have all packages at hand, so you won't need the cds later if you want to install additional packages after installation

I never did a ftp-install, but doesn't the installer have a partitioning tool there too ??? just wondering

I remember seen on the installation screen when I was following the process something about formating but I don't know if indeed happen. Anyways, I'm going to try the CD installation and I let you know guys know how it comes out.

Jose

Edited by jmr0311