Ethernet Cable linking Linux and Mac

ColinM

Stand alone desktops, home user.

Dual boot Celeron box with Mdk 10.1 OE on slave HD and Win98 on master HD.

The Mdk OS uses Guarddog firewall, and the Win OS uses ZoneAlarm firewall.

Apple Mac Mini Tiger 10.3.4 Mac firewall.

I simply want to transfer my data files from the Win HD to my Mac using a crossover Ethernet cable.

I will also want to periodically backup the Mac OS and data on the Win or Mdk HD.

How do I do it?

I tried pluging the crossover ethernet cable in both boxes, no hubs, straight box to box. Then I turned on File Sharing in Win 98, and fiddled with the Mac settings to allow local Win users access, but without success.

Anybody ever done this simple thing?

Step by step instructions would help me and future visitors.

I looked at the relevant Apple and Win help pages, but both are vague on networking Linux users.

I also tried numerous times to download and install Netatalk rpms but get the usual Penguin frustrations of bad signatures and failed file dependencies.

The main thing I want to do is use the Linux box HDs to backup my Mac OS and data regularly. (Too big for CDs and Flash drives.)

Ta!

Haven't ever tried to get Linux to talk to a Mac, and this is not exactly what you are asking, but I have sucessfully networked Win98 with OSX.

The key is to have a user set up on the Windows box with EXACTLY the same username and password as on the Mac. The username to use is the short name on the Mac.

Failing this, you could perhaps set up an FTP server on the Linux box, or maybe even get an external drive...

Remember, you should store a backup off site (fire, flood, theft...)

first you'll need to configure some static networking for both machines - there are plenty of guides out there for doing that.

The best way to proceed is probably to run an ssh server on the Mac (or under linux) and then use sftp to transfer files between the machines. This is quite easily set up on the Mac by going into the sharing preferences - off the top of my head the ssh server is under remote login or something similar - you'll also need to allow ssh traffic through the firewall.