How to change window manager?

laan97ac

Open MCC (Mandriva Control Centre)------------>System -------->Choose the display manager that enables to select which user to log in.

You can then select which Window manager you want from the ones installed. Log out and then back in and you should have what you want.

Cheers. John.

You can simply install icewm if it's not already, and then when you boot the system, before you enter your username/password, there are some options at the bottom of the screen.

One of these options allows you to change between Default, KDE, Gnome, ICEWM, etc, etc.

If you have gdm chosen as your Desktop Manager (Configure Your Computer/System/Desktop Manager), then you can make sure that whichever option you chose, is set as the default for each time you boot your system.

Thanx - that simple I feel embarrassed to have asked the question. However, two questions:

1 )Sound is remarkably bad in GNOME compared to KDE - why

2 )Under the menu "Places" menu items such as "documents", "video" etc. do not work. I get an error message saying

Cannot display location ....

Details: There is no default action associated with this location

what to do?

I'm not sure on point 2, I don't use gnome very much so someone else might be able to help here.

For the sound, can you press ESC during boot, and look for something that relates to sound? It could be alsa or something along those lines. It might just be a case of changing the volume levels in Gnome to make it more bearable. I found that with my system if it was too loud the sound wasn't too good.