gravis xterminator in 2006 [solved]

richard-gt

I have a Gravis Xterminator Digital gamepad attached through the USB port. In 2005, it worked just fine; however, after a clean install to 2006 for x86-64, it gets detected as a 2 axis, 2 button gamepad. Looking at /var/log/messages, it looks like the driver for Xbox controllers is somehow getting into the mix:

Nov 20 22:23:30 localhost kernel: usb 1-3: new low speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 7

Nov 20 22:23:30 localhost kernel: input: USB HID v1.00 Joystick [Gravis Xterminator Digital Gamepad] on usb-0000:00:0f.0-3

Nov 20 22:23:31 localhost hal.hotplug[11532]: DEVPATH is not set

Nov 20 22:23:31 localhost kernel: usbcore: registered new driver xpad

Nov 20 22:23:31 localhost kernel: drivers/usb/input/xpad-core.c: driver for Xbox controllers v0.1.4

Nov 20 22:23:31 localhost udev[11542]: run_program: exec of program failed

Nov 20 22:23:31 localhost pam_console.dev[11556]: Restoring console permissions for /dev/input/event2

Nov 20 22:23:31 localhost pam_console.dev[11562]: Restoring console permissions for /dev/input/js0 /dev/js /dev/js0

Any ideas on how to ensure the driver gets loaded correctly?

Edited by richard-gt

Have a look at modprobe.conf which allows you to make adjustments to modules being loaded.

You may also want to have a look at udev and hotplug as there is a mapping type file (I can't remember the name) that lets you define which modules get loaded for specific hardware. I am not sure if this has changed in 2006 since I believe hal is now being used.

Not really a complete answer to your question I am afraid but hopefully something to get you on the right path.

Leo

Well, I dug around /etc/udev/rules.d/70-hotplug_map.rules, and found the line:

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{bInterfaceClass}=="03", RUN+="/sbin/modprobe hid", RUN+=

"/etc/udev/agents.d/usb/hid"

Thought that maybe /etc/udev/agents.d/usb/hid would have something to do with it, but that file doens't exist. That directory only has two files, libusbscanner and usbcam.

Does anyone know if this is the right file to look in?

Richard

• 2 weeks later...