rpm for a p2p client?

Sao

Sigh.

I know i must seem like an idiot... but i don't know what urpmi is? and yeah...

I went to the http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ b/c the other site leads to there too =] and uhm, I still don't understand what's goin' on. I know in step one you pick your version of mandriva linux then step two ..what's that for ? mirrors? am I downloading something? and step three tells me to go into my root cmmand tihng, and I am sOO not doing that because I don't know what I'm doin.. exactly.. so yea.

Does anyone have the patience to break it down?

I promise I'll read =X

EasyUrpmi is a way to set up the sources you need for updates and other software. At step 2, select mirrors near you for each of the sources shown. At step 3, you are given various lines to copy and paste into the command line.

Back on your own desktop, choose the icon in the task bar to open a terminal window: it may be labelled Terminal Program or Konsole or something similar...

At the command line in the terminal window, type 'su' and enter, then enter your root password. Now paste in each line from Easy Urpmi and enter. If you get any errors, you may have to run Easyurpmi again for the failing source, choosing a different mirror.

When your sources are set up, you can use 'urpmi' at the command line to install stuff, but you may find it easier to use the Mandriva Control Centre (Configure your Computer) from the taskbar or menu.

1. First, pick servers close to you (better chances of fair speed).

2. Second, tick in the "compressed index" box, you'll have to download (much) smaller files.

3. Press "proceed to step 3"

4. Grab with the mouse and highlight the first whole line that starts with "urpmi-addmedia". Rightclick and pick "copy".

6. Open konsole, and type in

su (now provide the root password).

7. Press shift+ins (to paste from browser) and press enter.

8. Repeat for the rest of the "urpmi-addmedia" entries.

Now you can add/remove software via mcc/rpmdrake, or via console (urpmi).

THANK YOU =]

means a lot ...

anywayss...

Ok so I understand now that urpmi is a type of program to help me install things. Uhm it installs things. So how does that work? what file extentions does it work with? ..like what kind of programs does it help install or whatever. I know these are like basic questions.. sorry lol =X

I understand how to install the EasyUrpmi, just what does "architecture" mean for the first step? I'm running Mandriva 10.1 i know that... and for package manager I pick urpmi... and thanks for breaking down step 3.

how would I install things using the mandriva control center? I know what it is and how to get to it, just not sure what to do/use it for so I'm hesitant... I realllly messed comps up before experimenting, but that was with windows.

Still looking for help installing a p2p... all the ones i've tried are retarded, I don't know where they go after installation or they don't work or dissapear or loop back to some file.. blah, i don't know how to explain it.

all i want is my music =[

oh, did I say i appreciate the help? lol

<3

Use the default architecture (i586), unless you know you're using a 64-bit processor or an Apple computer.

Once you've set up your sources, I suggest you forget about urpmi for the time being - it's easier to use the MCC to install just about all the software you'll need. You don't have to worry about extensions in Linux.

I don't use any p2p software, so I can't recommend one, but when you want to install one, go into the MCC under Software Management. There you will find a Media Manager, where the sources you created are listed. Check/tick all of them except updates, then come out of the Media Manager, and go into the Install option. The options I've given may be named differently, as I'm still on Mandriva 10.0 for the time being.

In the Install option, you can search for the name of the program you want. With a few clicks, you should be able to install the program and any dependencies.

Someone who's familiar with p2p software can advise you on how to run it. :)

Get Apollon from Here: Apollon

Apollon connects to all the major P2P networks (OpenFT, FastTrack(Kazaa!), Gnutella, OpenNap, and Ares), so you'll get 4 times what you'll get with any other client. Use the Apollon-all-in-one-installer for 1.0.2.1 and click on the button to watch the log, so you'll know if any errors occur during instilation. If you do incounter errors related to missing software, use the Mandriva Control Center to install the missing software needed to complete the instillation.

Forgot to mention this, since your obviously going through the growing pains of leaning how to use linux. When you download the installer, to execute the file paste the following command in a Konsole (Terminal) window: ./Apollon-all-in-one-installer for 1.0.2.1.run. This will launch the installer. Once the installer appears, click on the button labeled view log. If the installer encounters problems, it will show you what files are missing and need to be installed in the log. Examine the log and since you've already got urpmi set up from some of the other post, you should be able to go to the MCC (Mandriva Control Center) and install any missing files, using the software installer.

I would also advise you to install Limewire from the Limewire official site, but you must have Java properly configured to get it to work. Also, in the near future, LimeWire is going to start screening their network for copywrited material, so Apollon may be your best bet for the future. Download the LimeWire rpm and in a terminal, log in as root (su then followed by the password) and then type urpmi "name of Limewire RPM here"

I hope this helps.

Edited by guppetto