Mandriva 2006 xorg issues

aRTee

Your experience with Mandriva 2006 Xorg cvs version  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Your experience with Mandriva 2006 Xorg cvs version

• I tried Mandriva 2006 but due to these xorg issues I had to revert to something else.
    • I managed but can't seriously recommend Mdv06 to any ATI or NVidia owners who are Linux novices.
    • I managed but can't seriously recommend Mdv06 to any ATI or NVidia owners even if they are Linux experts.
    • Mandriva 2006 Powerpack works fine, what's this talk about Xorg issues?
    • Mandriva 2006 Free public download works fine, what's this talk about Xorg issues?

Thanks scarecrow, I didn't know that....

I guess that info means that we now see why open source drivers are the way to go - no forced obsolescence. Then again, I already mentioned that in the hardware discussion of the second part of my review... ;)

(Please note my remarks as to why Linux pitted against windows on AMD64 is doing well, as well as that Longhorn/Vista will come in below Linux on hardware support side....)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I've installed PowerPack and the Free version of 2006, and even the x86_64 version. And I've tried them with nVidia and ATi-cards, but I'm having no Xorg-issues. Even tried the updated version of Xorg from SeerOfSouls.com and can't see any difference.

I've read a lot about this issue on the board of MandrivClub.com, but is this an issue that only affects older graphic-cards?

Scarecrow, thanks for the note about cards. You do have to wonder where Mandriva's heads were when they let out a release that won't work with older cards. It does, however, remind me of when I had to install Windows2000 and then had to download from nvidia's site their drivers. Working with vesa at 256 colors is trying on one's sensibilities.

Well, on PCLOS which is a "direct" Mandriva spinoff they also offer 7174 RPM's (DKMS included) with the note that it's for older nvidia cards, while in my preferred distro (Arch Linux) there's some "nvidia-legacy" package which is simply enough an Arch wrap of the 7174 drivers...

Agreed that Club members should also have access to 7174 RPM's, and not just "the latest and greatest", which wouldn't work at all for some!

Edited by scarecrow

I think it would have been a good Idea to include x.org 6.8.2 and some older drivers and let you choose at the installation stage, if you want to be secure (6.8.2) or bleeding edge (6.9.1cvs), with the risk of bloodying your nose, so they could still be centrino-certified (that was the reason for the cvs-x.org, to support all the new intel-chipsets), but would not have all those probs

I remember back in mandrake 8.1 you had the choice between xfree 3.3.6 and 4.x, which was nice if you had an older card not supported by the newer xfree-version