Mandriva 2006 xorg issues

aRTee

Your experience with Mandriva 2006 Xorg cvs version  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Your experience with Mandriva 2006 Xorg cvs version

• I tried Mandriva 2006 but due to these xorg issues I had to revert to something else.
    • I managed but can't seriously recommend Mdv06 to any ATI or NVidia owners who are Linux novices.
    • I managed but can't seriously recommend Mdv06 to any ATI or NVidia owners even if they are Linux experts.
    • Mandriva 2006 Powerpack works fine, what's this talk about Xorg issues?
    • Mandriva 2006 Free public download works fine, what's this talk about Xorg issues?

Couldn't get dual monitors (xinerama mode) working with my Matrox Millenium G400 Max (dual head) video card. Also had some shutdown problems from within KDE. I didn't stay on it long enough to have any other experiences. Not being able to get dual monitors working was a showstopper for me. Went back to 2005LE.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, i must be a lucky soul.

after a bad experience first time around with 2006, (i believe due to bad cdr's) all downloads checksummed, all discs checksummed after burn, all ok, but simply refused to install properly, errors here, lockups there, damn !!

i re-burned the three "free" download cd images onto a different vendor's cdr's and voila!, operating system installation nirvana!!

i deliberatly did not install kat (due to comments elsewhere on this site), and i did download and install the nvidia driver for my Nvidia fx5200 graphics card.

and so far everything including hp930c usb printer was detected and runs flawlessly.

urpmi was a breeze to setup thanks to this site, and easy urpmi! thanks guy's and gals.

everything i needed was downloaded in a single session (two hours) and the system is now complete, well except for java i have to get round to that yet lol.

i am running kde, because it looks more like windows to me, and i have managed to find my way around it easier than the other desktop / window managers so far.

it is faster at booting up and shutting down than 2005le, and applications also open quicker too.

so far no lock-ups at all.

oh it also looks great! :thumbs:

i don't like that mandriva home page thing in konquerer it is extremely annoying.

i tried to change it to something else but to no avail (any help on this point would be appreciated).

i tried to change it too google, but it still opens up on the mandriva page and i have to click home to get google! why do they do this!

they have mandriva web links all over the place so why hijack konquerer! :wall:

still, it's a small grumble and overall a brilliant release FOR ME. :thanks: mandriva

everything is working that i have / need which is not a lot, (by which i mean no fancy devices like usb pen drives, internal win modems, sata drives, joysticks etc).

soltek sl75drv mainboard, amd athlon 1.3 ghz, 512mb ddr ram, 40gb maxtor (10 gb win me, 20gb share (fat32) 10gb /usr), 20gb ibm deskstar (root, swap, var, tmp, home), 128mb nvidia fx5200 graphics, ac97 (via onboard) sound, phillips dvd re-writer 1640 (benq), hitachi 16x dvd rom, realtek 8129 ethernet card, hp930c usb printer, ctx vl700 screen, bog standard keyboard, and microsoft intelli mouse (both ps2)

ok its hardly state of the art but seems very well catered for with this release.

i hope the bugs others are experiencing are ironed out soon.

regards

reb2

Edited by reb2

This for reb2.

Open Konqueror. Select Settings........select Configure View Profiles

and delete everything except devices, File Management, Simple Browser and Trash Then click on Save at the bottom.

That should do it for you.

Cheers. John.

I had a few lock up's on my system, but I think this was due to the BIOS being configured incorrectly, as memory errors were being generated.

I've now since sorted the BIOS, no more errors, and the system is running fine.

Originally I had attributed the lockups to Xorg!

I'm running 2006 Free on 2 ati-cards (radeon 9000 Pro and M6 Mobility) without real problems, I just took the drivers that Mandy offered me at Installation and that's it, on my Notebook I have no 3D-acceleration, but this didn't work from Mdk 8.2 up to Mdv 2005, the weird thing is, this only happens with the native 1400x1050 resolution of my notebook-display, but since I don't play on my notebook, this is no problem anyway.

Just rebuilt my work desktop today, and is more stable, however, some of the OpenGL graphics don't work correctly. Xorg isn't crashing on it anymore, whereas it was previously probably because of the urpmi upgrade. And the mouse hasn't stopped working like it had last time.

The work desktop is using an Intel 82865 chipset video card, and is the only problem I've encountered, however it is using the Open Source drivers, rather than the actual ones from Intel. I'm unlikely to install this on my home laptop at present, since my laptop runs and Intel 82852 chipset, and possibly will end up looking/working the same as the desktop at work.

My work laptop using an NVidia basic driver with 2006 Free and has no problems at all. My home desktop running an NVidia Geforce 4400TI works OK also, but did require downloading the drivers from NVidia.

Intel graphics have no closed source drivers, the open source ones are fully functional under Linux.

People tend to forget this, but Intel actually offers the fastest open source 3d graphics at the moment.... Thanks Intel! (BTW it was likely also Intel that made Mdv include xorg cvs.... 2 sides of the medaillion I guess..)

Intel graphics have no closed source drivers, the open source ones are fully functional under Linux.

People tend to forget this, but Intel actually offers the fastest open source 3d graphics at the moment.... Thanks Intel! (BTW it was likely also Intel that made Mdv include xorg cvs.... 2 sides of the medaillion I guess..)

The reason behind the developmentl Xorg was to support the new intel graphics chips that are creeping into new laptops.

Couldn't get dual monitors (xinerama mode) working with my Matrox Millenium G400 Max (dual head) video card.  Also had some shutdown problems from within KDE.  I didn't stay on it long enough to have any other experiences.  Not being able to get dual monitors working was a showstopper for me.  Went back to 2005LE.

Same here, couldn´t get dual setup with a Matrox MMS 200 Quad & latest Xorg. So never really tested anything else out. Put my trusty 2005 LE HD back in, updated KDE to 3.4 & will wait for Matrox to bring a new driver out...

I put 2006 on my son's machine at his mothr's house. Unlike the none at my house it did not install with graphics working. Both have nvidia cards. I tried the 7676 nvidia drivers, but they didn't work so I tried the 7174 and "presto" all was fine. Not newbie stuff for a few reasons: having to try two different drivers, configuring the xorg.conf from vi, and adding the line to /etc/modprobe.preload.

I put 2006 on my son's machine at his mothr's house. Unlike the none at my house it did not install with graphics working. Both have nvidia cards. I tried the 7676 nvidia drivers, but they didn't work so I tried the 7174 and "presto" all was fine. Not newbie stuff for a few reasons: having to try two different drivers, configuring the xorg.conf from vi, and adding the line to /etc/modprobe.preload.

My Nvidia was ok with the 7676 drivers from NVidia's website, but not the ones included with Mandriva. Not sure which ones you tried. My work laptop wouldn't work with the NVidia ones though, not sure why. Is one of those GeForce GO cards.

I used the ones from nvidia's site and the dkms-nvidia from plf-cooker (iffy, but I wanted to try). Neither worked, but as I said the 7174 from nvidia's site worked well. Could be the card (GeForce2 DDR).

Yes, it is the card. 7174 is the last unified nvidia driver which supports old models.

The ones not supported by the current driver are:

RIVA TNT

RIVA TNT2/TNT2 Pro

RIVA TNT2 Ultra

Vanta/Vanta LT

RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro

Aladdin TNT2

GeForce 256

GeForce DDR

Quadro

GeForce2 GTS/GeForce2 Pro

GeForce2 Ti