Ethernet or Firefox

satelliteuser083

I'd be tempted to remove the line "search ntlworld", it probably has no significance, and could cause some DNS resolution problems.

I've had this before myself and removing the search line sped up DNS resolution. It might help for you!

I'd be tempted to remove the line "search ntlworld", it probably has no significance, and could cause some DNS resolution problems.

I've had this before myself and removing the search line sped up DNS resolution.  It might help for you!

I removed the line as suggested, rebooted (can't remember if it was 'Turn off'/switch back on or 'Restart') and checked the file's contents; the line had been re-inserted. I then deleted the eth0-interface in MCC and then set it up again, this time without an entry in Search Domain; the line had been removed from /etc/resolv.conf. Following a 'Restart', the line had again been re-inserted in /etc/resolv.conf, and in the Search Domain field (MCC -> Network & Internet -> Reconfigure a network) 'ntlworld' had also been re-instated. Interesting, no?

BTW, running 'service network restart' in a root Konsole results in the following:

[root@sthelens ~]# service network restart

Shutting down loopback interface: [ OK ]

Disabling IPv4 packet forwarding: [ OK ]

Setting network parameters: [ OK ]

Bringing up loopback interface: [ OK ]

Bringing up interface eth0: [ OK ]

[root@sthelens ~]#

Do you know what exactly is meant by 'Setting network parameters'? Anyway, this does not bring the network up, sadly.

Oh, I've just thought of another thing. Do you know which processes (scripts?) control the "Turn off Computer" and "Restart Computer" operations. I assume that there ARE different ones, because in the second one there is a verbose message "About to restart the computer" [sic] which is clearly missing from the first. I'd like to see what the significant difference/s is/are, given that the network comes up on a Restart but not following a Turn-off.

ps don't know why there are two occurances of this reply, don't remember clicking any button twice :unsure:

Edited by satelliteuser083

Are you using a static assigned IP address or DHCP? This could explain the issues your experiencing. I use static and don't have any problems with the search line, but I'm using a router that manages the internet connection for me.

Also, at hostname are you just adding something like "mandriva" or fully qualified as "mandriva.ntlworld"? If so, it is possible that everything after the mandriva is ending up in the search field.

Ive already followed your suggestion (of 17 Nov in topic "> Ethernet, Xircom CreditCard Ethernet") and set static assigned IP addresses to both computers i.e. 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.3 to laptop and tower respectively (router default being 192.168.1.1). The host-name IS fully qualified, I'll try changing that later. BTW, is your router ISP-specific and, if not, which model is it? Also, does that mean that it replaces a modem, beacause It may be worth considering aquiring one?

Anyway, I'd like to thank you, and everyone else, for your' inputs to this saga, but I've decided to abandon it for the time being; I've got other things on my plate which are more important. The combination of "switch on, then restart" seems to be pretty reliable, so I'll continue with that for the time being. Don't watch this space, but I'll probably be back later when time permits. :thanks:

Edited by satelliteuser083