Ethernet or Firefox

satelliteuser083

It looks as though I may have spoken too soon :angry: about solving the eth0/broadband/router problem (see Ethernet, Xircom CreditCard Ethernet), because a very strange thing is now occurring. At boot the eth0 connection is made and I start Firefox (with Sessionsaver installed); instead of finding the sites from the previous session it just grinds away with the "Loading..." message in all of the tabs and never DOES load anything. It seems to know what it wants to load but can't find the sites. I then have to reboot; generally it then works. I suppose that it could also be a Firefox bug - I seem to remember this also happening occasionally with dialup - has anyone else had a similar problem?

Edited by satelliteuser083

Lots of feedback this time, so have packed my answers into this one reply.

Thanks for the tip, daniewicz; however, in my directory-system there is no sessionsaver at ~/.mozilla/plugins, although I did find a "sessionsaver.jar" under

.mozilla/firefox/3d2i91as.default/extensions/{909409b9-2e3b-4682-a5d1-71ca80a76456}/chrome

Could this be part of the connection problem? Anyway, despite changing disableIPV6 to TRUE yesterday the problem re-occurred this morning :(

And sadly, pmpatrick, your ifdown/ifup suggestion doesn't work if the network is DOWN following boot; could that be significant?

scarecrow; your service network restart suggestion didn't work either but, when I deleted the network interface and then set it up again (in MCC ), that did

When the problem re-occurred just now, I tried accessing the web with Konqueror but that was just as unsuccessful as Firefox. I also tried scarecrow's "service network restart", which shut down the network and brought it up again, as expected, but that also failed to provide access. It's as though the system is using a wrong network, i.e. one that is not connected. BTW, I've also got a telephone modem set up (as ppp0 ); could that be associated with the problem?

Please take a look at your /etc/ppp folder.

Is there a usable/redable resolv.conf textfile, or it's nonexistent/broken?

There IS a /etc/ppp/resolv.conf file, with a size of zero bytes but which can be opened with kwrite i.e. it's not locked (if that's what you mean by 'broken'). I should mention that the file's date is 10. July 2005 (In case this is of interest), a time when I was still using ppp0 for dialup..

I've just spent the best part of three hours booting and restarting LE2005 on the laptop, and it looks as though the Firefox jamming is somehow associated with whether or not the latter is actually running when I shut the system down. If I DO close Firefox first, I can select either "Turn off Computer" (and then switch it back on), or "Restart Computer"; the network comes up and there is access to the web (through both Firefox and Konqueror). If, however, I do NOT close Firefox first I only have web access following "Restart Computer"; selecting "Turn off Computer" results in web-access blockage the next time I switch the machine on (in Firefox AND Konqueror).

I've also noticed that, occasuionally, if I interrupt Firefox (with the Esc-key) while it is still in the process of "Loading..." any site, that action causes Firefox to jam up completely on all tabs, i.e. none of the tabs provide web access. Closing the tabs and reopening them has no effect on this jammed state. I think I'm slowly going mad :cheeky: