• Announcements

• spinynorman

Mandriva Official Documentation

Official documentation for extant versions of Mandriva can be found at doc.mandriva.com.   Documentation for the latest release may take some time to appear there. You can install all the manuals from the main repository if you have Mandriva installed - files are prefixed mandriva-doc.
    • paul

Forum software upgrade   10/29/17

So you may have noticed the forum software has upgraded !!!
      A few things that have changed. We no longer have community blogs (was never really used) We no longer have a portal page.
      We can discuss this, and decide whether it is needed (It costs money) See this thread: Here
Sign in to follow this  
MFM

How to install JRE on Mandriva 2006? [solved]

Dear senior Mandriva users, please help.

How to install JRE on Mandriva 2006. I performed everything what was described at java.com. But when I issue 'which java' in terminal it tells 'there is no java'. :oops:

The easy way: Mandy compatible RPM from mandrivaclub.nl

The sane way: Any build from Sun (tarred or RPM) and then adding the java /bin directory to your system PATH. You can use any system startup script you prefer for setting the path- you decide which one.

OK, so after installation , when jre is in the '/usr/java' I have to add a PATH, so the system recognizzes it.

How to add a PATH?

OK, so after installation , when jre is in the '/usr/java' I have to add a PATH, so the system recognizzes it.

How to add a PATH?

export PATH="/usr/java/bin"

If there's already an export command there, just add the path to the existing ones after a double dot ( : ).

Add that either to a global startup script (in my case of Arch Linux: /etc/profile) so that all users can benefit, or to your users .bash_profile script, or...

I`m stuck.

Tried many things. This my second post regarding this problem.

Please help, How to install JRE ?

I run Mandriva 2006, GNOME, Opera 8.5.

This is something I wrote when I had problems installing JRE for Firefox:

http://www.buziaks.com/ian/jreinstall.htm

hope this helps, otherwise, check out:

http://www.java.com/en/download/help/5000010500.xml#rpm

The installation should be more or less the same for Opera, so check out the second link, they should provide where to place the link for the Opera browser.

How to add a PATH?

export PATH="/usr/java/bin"

If there's already an export command there, just add the path to the existing ones after a double dot ( : ).

Add that either to a global startup script (in my case of Arch Linux: /etc/profile) so that all users can benefit, or to your users .bash_profile script, or...

Could you please describe the full expession, I tried 'export PATH="/usr/java/jre1.5.0_05/bin/" ' but nothing happens, system still does not see it.

Maybe wrong path?

Please try (as root, preferrably):

updatedb (this might take some time to complete).

locate javaws

To have the exact path of the java binaries.

Also- on the export command, try omitting the " say like:

export PATH=/usr/java/jre1.5.0_05/bin

or whatever location you got above about the javaws (Java Web Start) executable.

Another solution (not as good as the above):

Symlink the main java binaries to a system-wide directory, e.g. /bin

Symlinking is very easily done without any typing (almost) with Midnight Commander.

Edited by scarecrow

Well, after adding a symlink to '/bin' I`ve finally got what I want: after typing 'which java' it shows '/bin/java/'. Hope this is it, now java is system wide. Thank you so much.

Anyway, 'export PATH' didn`t work out?

Anyway, 'export PATH' didn`t work out?

Almost for sure, a typo.

Did you try the *free* Mandy customized RPM from here (which does not need any path definitions or file linking) or just the generic Sun pack?