skype install/uninstall [solved]

riseringseeker

Spent the last two days installing 2006 (download) on my laptop and desktop. The installs went fairly well, and overall I am happy with them both. I *do* have a couple of questions about trivial stuff, but they will be in other posts. This post is only about getting skype working.

The problem came when I tried to use skype on the laptop this morning. I understand skype is installed by default with PP, but is not on the DL disks - so I went to skype and d/l'ed the "RPM for Mandriva 10.1 and newer", as well as the "Public Key". The initial installation went fine, no errors. I did not get around to trying to use skype on the laptop until this morning.

It took *forever* to load, and then gave me a log-in error message, or just kept coming back to the login screen (various errors). I did the same install on the desktop and it works like a champ. I am connecting to the same router the desktop is on from the laptop but using a wireless card - so it should not be a firewall issue.

Anyway, I decided unistall it and reinstall it. I used MCC to uninstall it (no errors - though in retrospect, maybe should have used "rpm -e"), then tried to reinstall it. I got this:

# rpm -i skype-1.2.0.18-mdr.i586.rpm

package skype-1.2.0.18-mdr is already installed

So I tried to unistall it again and got:

# rpm -e skype

/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.5213: line 1: fg: no job control

error: %postun(skype-1.2.0.18-mdr.i586) scriptlet failed, exit status 1

I looked using:

# locate skype

/home/karl/.kde/share/apps/RecentDocuments/skype-1.2.0.18-mdr.i586.rpm.desktop

/home/karl/Download/skype-1.2.0.18-mdr.i586.rpm

:help:

I use skype a *lot* from the laptop! If anyone can explain how to get rid of the errors, and get me back to calling home from odd corners of the world, I would very much appreciate it!

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman]

Hi,

I have sort of the same problem with MCC. I tried to uninstall skype via MCC but it won't go away from the list of installed programs. When I try to reinstall, I get (Package already installed). Before I had skype that did not work (problem with sound device) now I have none and cannot even install skype...

seems to be more info on forum.skype.com under linux. A couple of threads there shows many problems!

Advice highly appreciated.

Here is what skype tells me:

[root@localhost laan97ac]# urpme skype

removing skype-1.2.0.18-mdr.i586

/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.3009: line 1: fg: no job control

[root@localhost laan97ac]#

[root@localhost laan97ac]# rpm -e skype

/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.48655: line 1: fg: no job control

[root@localhost laan97ac]#

I tried to reinstall but tells me that it is already installed?!

aRTee;

Thanks for weighing in here.

I even went so far as to re-format the drive and re-install - twice - thinking maybe I had missed something. I had tried to put the MM kernel on you mentioned, but apparently it does not support the drag bar on the mouse pad.

Anyway, whether I use "rpm -i" or "gurpmi" (by clicking on the rpm icon, or opening with Software Installer during d/l) I get the same "scriplet" error that Iaan mentions. I know (or am pretty sure) I did not have this error the first time I installed it, but that was 2-3 installations ago!

What I d/l'ed from the skype website was skype-1.2.0.18-mdr.i586.rpm

As far as using urpmi to install skype, I'll have to ask you for a source. When I try it I get:

# urpmi skype

no package named skype

Using easy-urpmi from this site, I set up my sources as follows:

urpmi.addmedia main ftp://mirrors.usc.edu/pub/linux/distribut...i586/media/main with media_info/hdlist.cz

urpmi.addmedia contrib ftp://mirrors.usc.edu/pub/linux/distribut...6/media/contrib with media_info/hdlist.cz

urpmi.addmedia jpackage ftp://mirrors.usc.edu/pub/linux/distribut.../media/jpackage with media_info/hdlist.cz

urpmi.addmedia plf-free ftp://ftp.planetmirror.com/pub/plf/mandrake/free/2006.0 with hdlist.cz

urpmi.addmedia plf-nonfree ftp://ftp.planetmirror.com/pub/plf/mandrake/non-free/2006.0 with hdlist.cz

urpmi.addmedia --update updates ftp://mirrors.usc.edu/pub/linux/distribut...0/main_updates/ with media_info/hdlist.cz

Oh, I'm sorry for not being clear - skype is not on the public repos - but you must still use urpmi to install it.

If you download the rpm from skype, you have to install it with:

urpmi [skype rpm]

and not

rpm -i [skype rpm]

but I guess you already did this correctly....

Since I got the PP and not the public edition, I'm didn't run into this issue.

So I have no clue - anyone else?

Actually I got a four disk version of power pack from here. Won't buy there again, I ended up d/l'ing the free version anyway when it came out.

The PP I got had a skype version one out from what's currently available on skype.com. It did exactly the same thing, exiting with a "scriptlet" error, and also won't uninstall.

I did sort of half-way get skype to work, but I wouldn't recommend it. I had a working install on the desktop (as good as it ever was - still has occassional errors "problem with sound device", "call failed", other problems with sound card usage). So I scp'd the files over to the laptop. It works, but I have to restart skype, and the sound system on the laptop after every call.

I do not understand why the install went fine on the desktop (other than continuing sound card faults), and not on the laptop. They both were installed from the same disks, on similar hardware (IDE drives, AC`97 soundcard). I never had any problem *installing* skype before this, just in using it, and what I understand is that is because it does not natively use ALSA (they say they are woking on it).

Hi,

I have sort of the same problem with MCC. I tried to uninstall skype via MCC but it won't go away from the list of installed programs. When I try to reinstall, I get (Package already installed). Before I had skype that did not work (problem with sound device) now I have none and cannot even install skype...

seems to be more info on forum.skype.com under linux. A couple of threads there shows many problems!

Advice highly appreciated.

Iaan;

I'm curious, are you using a PP release, or the free download? Also, are you installing on a laptop or desktop? Like I've said, it went OK on the desktop, but I seem to have problems akin to yours on the laptop.

Iaan;

I'm curious, are you using a PP release, or the free download?  Also, are you installing on a laptop or desktop?  Like I've said, it went OK on the desktop, but I seem to have problems akin to yours on the laptop.

Hi Everyone,

Nice to know that I am not the only one unable to uninstall. I bought the box-version of 2006 discovery LX in the online Mandriva store. My computer is a laptop - HP zd8000. I have been reading a lot of threads on http://forum.skype.com, and we are certainly not the only one's with problems.

Keep looking for options!

i have the same pb.

i am on a linux mandriva 2006 on a Dell inspiron 4150 notebook

i installed the skype rpm from the skype website and when i try to uninstall it with command rpm -e skype, i have this result :

removing skype-1.2.0.18-mdr.i586

/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.3009: line 1: fg: no job control

The most irritating to me is that I do not want to get rid of skype, I only tried to uninstall in order to do a reinstall, and now I am stuck with an in-between that does not work. I cannot install skype, and I cannot uninstall. Once Skype releases something that works, how do I know that I can even install that update? The system will not even let me install 1.2.018 since it seems to think that the package is already installed...

same problem with me. i wanted to install an earlier version which, accorcding to the skype forum would work. but i am stuck in between, i cannot install skype and i cannot uninstall.

You can always try the --force option with urpmi or rpm. I have been able to install over a copy of skype that wouldn't uninstall that way (didn't help though), and then it would not uninstall either.

So where are you getting the older version? I haven't been able to find any for mandy, deb yes, mandy no.

There is also the option of using the QT skype non-rpm package. I have not tried it yet as I did get skype workable here - not good, just usable. I have to close it after every call, etc. etc.