kppp problem [heh.. partially solved]

aioshin

does anyone encountered this error... google shows several error similar to this, but I still unable to fix it...

here's the scenario.... I have LE2005 act as a dial-in server.. with a usr 56k data/fax external, right now I'm using win2k, coz I can't connect using my mdk10.1 at home,

when at linux, trying to connect using kppp, dialing on my LE2005 at the office, im sure it'l accept the credentials I used since its the same username and pasword that I used when logging from win2k, the kppp dialog box shows loggin on to network but several seconds later or maybe a minute, it will disconnect, with error "ppp timeout". Checking the var-log-messages, it shown that time it discon, signal 15... terminating. I already google about this error and also tried those suggested fix but still got the same error..

OK, when logging via terminal, I can successfully login, I can even do remote admin on that LE2005 box, but how come I cannot connect on regular kppp session?

:help:

Edited by aioshin

I had this problem with an external, but highly unconventional ISDN modem/router which is very common here (Greece)- namely Intracom Netmod. being an external serial/USB modem it has no chances to refuse working under Linux, but setting it properly is everything but trivial!

The solution was altering the ppp timeout settings- in my case setting them to some 12 seconds was enough, in your case you might have to use a different setting.

Mind also to disable the modem sound events, if your modem does not have an embedded speaker.

• 4 months later...

I tried Kanotix Live, Mandriva, Knoppix Live, Ubuntu Live and Suse, then Connecting to Mandriva Dial-in Server but it wont allow me... but when on my Win2k, it will, no problem on browsing... So I wonder why the heck it wont allow me when Im on my linux, so I tried to setup a dialin-server on Centos.(at the office)..then a while ago, I tried to connect to it from home PC, which is now OpenSuse10... and viola!!! it did connect and compared when Im on Windows, it much faster...wierd though, I did not really understand what was the problem then, but for now, I'm happy that I am now able to connect to the internet via my Dial-in server at the office using Linux...btw, Im connecting using Kinternet tool of suse, but when using KPPP, I can't.. hmmmmnnn.....

ken@linux:~/ffox> uname -a

Linux linux 2.6.13-15-default #1 Tue Sep 13 14:56:15 UTC 2005 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Considered Solved :P

Edited by aioshin