Mandriva Linux Install Tutorial

hanes

Hi, I teach a OS course at a high school so I am making some flash install tutorials. If anyone wants to see what an install would be like just follow this link.

http://www.tuxpedia.com/chap2.html

The tutorial is 4 megs so it'll take a minute to load.

Feedback would be nice too. I am open to tips so if anyone notices any problems please tell me!

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman]

Excellent guide, it seems the "writing-about-installing-2006" craze is really taking off! This looks really useful for those who haven't seen an install before.

The pic quality is a bit off, seems like the capture resolution isn't the same as the display resolution and the scaling is a bit ropey - any chance that the grabs could be processed to make them less jaggy? And the scrollbar on the bottom left doesn't really like being dragged - sometimes the display stops moving but the sound continues, sometimes two sound channels play at once. Maybe it should be non-draggable?

Couple of typos I noticed-

if your also running => should be "if you're also running"

higher your chances => should be "[raise|increase] your chances"

and my personal favourite:

Red Hate => I'm assuming it should be "Red Hat" unless it was deliberate!!

Oh, and one final word about the BIOS - maybe not everyone wants to set their BIOS to "diskette first". I have mine set to boot from HD even if there's a CD in the drive, if I really want to boot from a CD then I just press a key during boot and can select to boot either from HD or CD, _without_ changing the BIOS or altering any default settings.

As I said, really good guide, shame it's 4 MB but it's well worth the wait! Question - will the guide stay at this URL or is it intended for your high school?

Great work, but I'm afraid in vain.

Due to unlucky Mandy policy making, 2006 is absolutely beta quality, and as such tottally unsuitable for new Linux users. Maybe after a couple of months- but for now it's plain bad- for everyone.

For one thing: whoever had the bright idea to use xorg-cvs as the distro's xserver should be shot publicly at the largest Paris square.

Edited by scarecrow

<snip>For one thing: whoever had the bright idea to use xorg-cvs as the distro's xserver should be shot publicly at the largest Paris square.</snip>

I have to agree with your statement. IMHO the xorg-cvs is to bleeding-edge stuff & most third parties are still using modules geared towards xorg 6.8. For instance I can't use dual monitor setup with Matrox's drivers because of the new module system xorg-cvs has.... maybe being shot is a bit much though... B)

Due to unlucky Mandy policy making, 2006 is absolutely beta quality, and as such tottally unsuitable for new Linux users. Maybe after a couple of months- but for now it's plain bad- for everyone.

For one thing: whoever had the bright idea to use xorg-cvs as the distro's xserver should be shot publicly at the largest Paris square.

You can thank it to Intel AFAIK. They are the main sponsors of 2006 and Xorg cvs was used to add support for some Intel chipsets. Info was on the club forum so it's not official.

Actually, while I have no problem running Mandriva 2006 x86_64 edition (other than installing 32bit version of MPlayer so that I can run wmv and realplayer stuffs), I have to agree with you somewhat that I prefer 2005 for their stability. But I thought other distro such as OpenSuse 10 also uses xorg-cvs too.

Feedback would be nice too.  I am open to tips so if anyone notices any problems please tell me!

Very impressive! Great job!

The level of explanatory detail seems just right.

Just one small item - in the partitioning section, the / character for the mount point of the root partition is referred to as a backslash rather than a forward slash.

Congratulations on a great tutorial. BTW, may I ask what tools you used to create this tutorial?

Edited by jboy

Very impressive!

I second the question: what did you use?

BTW I strongly disagree that this is in vein - scarecrow, could you open a separate topic about that? I'm not saying you're wrong, but this is not the place...

Some comments (just noticed some points were already mentioned):

In the screenshot of the BIOS where you set the first boot device, it would be nicer to actually have the cdrom selected, or have it change to cdrom.

Voice audio gets a lot better at the point of harddrive partitioning... first I thought you just don't have a decent mic.

Swap: you recommend 256MB to 1GB, if people want suspend to disk to work at some point, it should naturally be larger than RAM, I've seen figures of 30% larger. Note: there are laptops around with 1GB of RAM, this is not imaginary! Usually, it doesn't hurt to say the swap should be 30% to 100% larger than the RAM of the system - any decently built system will have the harddrive space for it (imagine, a 1GB RAM system that can't spare 1.3GB from the hd? that'd be silly, especially with current HD prices).

"make sure the main linux partition is set to a backslash" => obviously, it's slash, not backslash: / not \

You don't create a /home partition! Aaargh!!! Double Aaaargh!

And, my golden advice is to create a second / partition, but I can see where that would be a bit much to explain... but at least instruct people to make a separate /home...

"Make a user for everyday use"

I'd say: one for each user that may use this computer.

That's the things I noticed anyway...

thanks for the tips!

I sort of downgraded the audio to keep the size as small as possible, as it is 2.8 megs is a lot... some of the audio i couldnt downgrade so it sounds a bit better....

bios screenshots i should fix... they were just shots I got off the net, maybe Ill just write over them...

/home partition? yeah... was a little hard to explain, i guess if a newbie is doin it, it really wont matter anyway?

swap, yeah I should probably put in the formula to... swap is kinda important

how did I make it? Flash w/ wine. Some stuff I quickly did with Swish (in windows, the beast). Any good swf maker for Linux?

Thanks a lot for your encouragement!

Hanes

/home partition? yeah... was a little hard to explain, i guess if a newbie is doin it, it really wont matter anyway?

Actually that's very important.

A newbie is more likely to break the system and he'd be more impressed with Linux if all his personal data stays untouched even if (s)he has to reformat,i.e., /home saves from potential and needless frustration.

Shot? That's too merciful, I advice hanging.

I'm really quite frustrated (as a lot of other people) with this xorg stupidity!

I wanted to install the new MDV on 2 of my friends' computers as the first Linux os they ever use, but I can't do that now.

I thought about installing Kubuntu or Kanotix for them, but lastly opted for MDV2005, because I'll probably be their tech support and I know MDV2005 better than Kubuntu or Kanotix (which is a very cool distro for Linux presentation in its' live cd form).

Edited by solarian

Solarian, please stick to the topic. Open your own topic about xorg.cvs crap decisions - I'd like to give some feedback, but _refuse_ to do it here (if you have such a topic, pm me where to find it pls). There's more perspective to things, as usual, and I'm not saying you're wrong, just that you're in the wrong topic. This happens to my topics too, and it annoys me to no end.

This topic is about hanes' work, not about Mandriva 2006 and problems with xorg.

For more comments about the actual install tutorial of hanes, keep 'em coming. Anything else - elsewhere please. Plenty of space on this board.

So, on topic:

/home is a must, not an option. /tmp, /var and such are optional partitions.

The voice gets good after some time, so in the beginning you're just not talking into the mic.

Good native Linux flash editor? Nah, don't think so. There are some, forgot the names, so please use the friendly search.

Linux/open source people tend not to like flash too much...

sorry, aRTee

the reason why people are talking about the xorg problem in installation, walkthrough, etc threads is probably due to the reason, that they see no reason to even install or configure a naturally broken thing.

I won't talk about that again, sorry again

Edited by solarian

Could you please open a topic about it?

I do want to see it discussed! Just not here...

Besides, it would help me for the final part of my review!

Hmm, maybe a poll is in order. Pm me if you don't want to open a topic and want me to do it...

Aargh! Now I've hijacked this topic and taken it away - apologies to hanes!!

Alright - let's continue on the flash tutorial.

Who knows what happened to Linux flash editors? Which ones are there?

Whatabout open source players, glpflash? Does hanes' tutorial work with them?