Mandriva 2006 review

aRTee

loved the new article.. Just loading the Hugin now.. I have a heap of photos o had to do more manually in Gimp..

The only application i need in KDE now is one which is like GNUCash, I really dislike the display, but for functionality i cant go past it..

I see all these people having problems i am running the Xorg and works fine no crashes or bugs. Running it on a Compaq Evo N1000v the ALSA is much better and now i have full configuration of my Sound card 3D affects and all..

They have really excelled with this package..

Thanks once again for the Hugin..

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kencantwell

I've just upgraded my old Thinkpad to 2006 and something is very wrong. Removing kat knocked by CPU from 100% down to 50%, but that's not enough. To click a button I move my mouse, then stop and wait to see where the cursor lands, and repeat, until I'm finally pointing where I want to.

Is there anything else I should rid my system of? When kded was consuming a lot of resources, how did you deduce that kat was the real problem?

I've been using Mandrake for about five years (and paying to do so) but that may be coming to an end.

I've just upgraded my old Thinkpad to 2006 and something is very wrong.  Removing kat knocked by CPU from 100% down to 50%, but that's not enough.  To click a button I move my mouse, then stop and wait to see where the cursor lands, and repeat, until I'm finally pointing where I want to. 

Is there anything else I should rid my system of?  When kded was consuming a lot of resources, how did you deduce that kat was the real problem?

I've been using Mandrake for about five years (and paying to do so) but that may be coming to an end.

Did you completely remove kat.. if not it can i noticed start up also under other users you may have set..

Example.. Logged on a me..

Start a konsole log on a someone else start kate, kwrite something connected to kde then you will see all this extra stuff occuring.. KAT has stared catalogueing for the other user.. Just remove the Default DB's for each user and you will have no more problems with it..

I find it faster and more responsive than the 9 versions and 10 versions..

Gul Dukat,

hoi,

en ... misschien - denk je dat er vraag naar is?

Translation: maybe, do you think there's a demand?

Hi aRTee,

yes I do. We at our board, get a lot of questions from people who just started with Mandriva, about installing Mandriva. An explanation which is clear-cut and has good pictures to illustrate what they must do, is always very useful as guide to them. At least, that's the way I see it.

Edited by Gul Dukat

I'm running Mandriva 2006 Free on two machines with ati-cards (a radeon 9000 Pro and a radeon M6 Mobility) and so far have not experienced any problems, even no high cpu-load at 4 AM, I just used the driver that mandriva offered me during installation

Guest Ritchie

aRTee, I found your review from a google search.

I thought the review was first class and has given me hope, I have left Mandriva 2006 on my machine.

I was going to scrub it for something else. Instead, I have joined the board, well done.

I have a few questions I'll post in the help section, most are related to getting lirc running on the box.

-Ritchie.

Hi Ritchie

welcome to the board!

Thanks for the feedback and compliment.

It's a good decision to not scrub your Linux (no matter which version, as long as it's one of the popular ones) but hang in there and get your issues fixed.

For Mandriva (and lots of other Linux distro's) you've come to the right place, so just post about your issues in the respective subforum.

Enjoy Linux!

• 2 weeks later...

aRTee,

thank you for the really fine review... although I am a bit afraid of the X reported problem, I think I will try to upgrade at least my home machine.

I write to contribute my method for seeing TV with Mdv2005.Le. I also have a Nvidia card; I installed the proprietary drivers and then did the following:

- Added to the xorg.conf file the stanzas reported at the end of this message.

- from an xterm: start another X on another virtual console:

# X :1 -layout twin &

- now start over there an xterm:

# DISPLAY=:1 xterm &

- now you can switch to the new X with ctrl-alt-f8 (and back with ctrl-alt-f7); when in the "f8" display the TV will show the same of the TV.

My TV is a standard one, low res; but I think that simply fiddling with resolution can solve things.

HTH,

Romano

Section "Device"

Identifier "twin_tv"

Driver "nvidia"

BusID "PCI:1:0:0"

Option "TwinView" "on"

Option "NoLogo"

Option "TwinViewOrientation" "Clone"

Option "MetaModes" "640x480, 640x480"

Option "TVStandard" "PAL-B"

Option "ConnectedMonitor" "CRT, TV"