Boot Loader Takes Two Trips to Work [solved]

lakelover

I have an annoying situation with the boot loader on 2006. It rarely opens with a graphical login. I get the text login on the first boot most times. I've switched form LILO to GRUB but that didn't fix it. I've reconfigured boot on the control panel but it stills does the same two-time trick. Any ideas on how I can fix this? Jerry

I'm confused here, on one side it looks like you are talking about the bootloader, then on the other it looks like you are having to log in from the command line as opposed to gdm or kdm.  Could you please elaborate on the problem?

Cheers

I'm confused myself. At the end of booting, I get the command line rather than the kdm (I guess, because I'm not familiar with the achronym kdm; I am using kde).

I have an integrated Intel 3D AGP Graphics card in a Dell Dimension 2300, according to the specs.

Here's what comes up on the video card descrition in the control panel:

Identification:

Vendor: ‎Intel Corp.

Description: ‎82845 CGC [Chipset Graphics Controller]

Media class: ‎DISPLAY_VGA

Connection Bus: ‎PCI

Bus PCI #: ‎0

PCI device #: ‎2

PCI function #: ‎0

Vendor ID: ‎32902

Device ID: ‎9570

Sub vendor ID: ‎4136

Sub device ID: ‎317

Misc

Module: ‎Card:Intel 845

Edited by lakelover

You mention it does work sometimes, but most of the time you get the text / console login screen.

What happens if you log in (as regular user and do su to become root, or straightaway as root) and do the command:

telinit 5

or first:

telinit 3

then

telinit 5

There may be some more info in /var/log/Xorg.0.log or whichever is the latest; could you do

ls -l /var/log/Xorg.*

and see if there is a very recent one...

well, let's take things one at a time.

I tried "/var/log/Xorg.* again and got the symbol ">" that's all. I get graphics on the second boot, always, and I get the text login on the first boot. It's very aggrivating.

When I enter "startx" at the text login, I get a string of messages "unable to open /usr/X11R6/lib . . . . "

and at the bottom "Fatal server error: no screens found."

Anyway, I did the telinit 3 at the text login and on the Konsole after logging in. On the text login, I got the message that there is no such file. Same with telinit 5. By the way, I tried going on the Konsole a bit ago and was stopped by "DCOP." I've not seen that before and have no idea what DCOP is. However, after rebooting, I can go on to Konsole. I must say that since upgrading 10.2 to 2006, a number of weird things are going on. For instance, I can no longer press the "Windows" key to bring up the START menu. Then my Canon printer with TurboPrint stopped working until I learned that TurboPrint had to be upgraded to work with 2006. Pardon the rant. . . I'll be happy when I get this graphical login thing right.

Jerry

Edited by lakelover

I think I've solved the problem. I reconfigured the boot graphics in MCC. It was set for text and I changed it to verbose. The boot went to the graphics login the a couple of time straight, so I have my fingers crossed. Thanks for all your time. Jerry

Drats!!!! My problem raised it's ugly head again this morning. It's interesting that the first boot goes to a text login which responses with an error when I enter "startx" The I shut down and reboot and it always goes to a graphical login on this second try.

Edited by lakelover