Freedom can be exhausting

pbpersson

I have been investigating Linux off and on for years now. I still consider myself somewhat of a newbie, but I'm learning. One of the things that frustrates me about Linux is that it doesn't just work "out of the box". In other words, when I fire up Windows, everything is there - Microsoft has made all the choices for me and it all works. Now I think I am starting to understand.

I am recalling a story from many years ago when people would defect from the Soviet Union to the United States and they just couldn't handle it. They said where we live, the government decides where we are to live, what we do for a living, what groceries we can buy....how can you Americans deal with all the decisions you are making every day.....and how do you know they are the right decisions?

I"m reminded of a scene in "Moscow on the Hudson" where the Robin Williams character has a panic attack in the grocery store because he's just overwhelmed by all the choices he has before him.

I'm now installing applications on Mandrake 10.1 using URPMI and I'm faced with the same problem. I mean, it tells me that this HIJKL program which I have never heard of does great things and I really need it but I have this Berkeley version and this UCLA version and this Dr. Wizard version and they all sound great and I have no idea. It's just too overwhelming. I don't want to make a mistake so I want to install every version of everything and now I need a bigger hard drive, I just ran out of room. :juggle:

Anyway, maybe this is one reason why Windows people have such a difficult time - Linux is all about freedom and choices and in Windows everything is decided for you and it just works? :unsure:

Phil

Well, freedom is a double-edged sword. Personally, I love it, but it is overwhelming at first.

What I'd recommend is that instead of installing everything, install with a minimum of software and slowly, as you need stuff, go into the package manager. Install one, try it out, and if you don't like it, uninstall it and try a different one. If you want suggestions, people on the forum can always help out with that. This is the great thing - for web browsers, I can choose about 5, with text editors even more. For desktop environments I have at least 3 good choices. For email clients I have at least 3. For DVD players I have 3 good choices. The list goes on and on. There are many good ways to do things, and you just pick the one that's right for you.

Don't install too much - just try something and if it fits your needs and you like it, keep it. If at some point you feel adventerous and want to try something else, do so. If you don't like it you can always uninstall it. That's the great thing - there's always more choices available.

Freedom is more than choices. All of us started using computers believing that the machines were our machines. I want to keep it that way. The long term "safe computing" goal of Microsoft is to have all software and all hardware only work if it is a microsoft design. That is not safe at all. It is oppression. Already Microsoft cannot innovate in any way. They must buy or steal their ideas because their oppressive methodology prohibits free thinking and freedom in general. The Microsoft model is self destructive. In the end, if successful, computing will be dead, and the only new initiatives in computing will be illegal. B)

[sound of dramatic music]

Give me linux, or give me death!

[scene fade to white]

:jester:

Freedom is more than choices. All of us started using computers believing that the machines were ourmachines. I want to keep it that way. The long term "safe computing" goal of Microsoft is to have all software and all hardware only work if it is a microsoft design. That is not safe at all. It is oppression. Already Microsoft cannot innovate in any way. They must buy or steal their ideas because their oppressive methodology prohibits free thinking and freedom in general. The Microsoft model is self destructive. In the end, if successful, computing will be dead, and the only new initiatives in computing will be illegal. B)

[sound of dramatic music]

Give me linux, or give me death!

[scene fade to white]

:jester:

:thumbs:

In fairness to our poster, I think he is saying that the realities and differences between Windows an Linux are now dawning on him and he is preparing to come to grips with that. :thumbs: I think he will make it OK

Lxthusdan. also. :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Cheers. John.

First thing is if you're stuck, post and someone will help you.

I don't see the point in trying to compare Linux with Windows. They aren't the same, and they never will be. Windows won't work if your riddled with Spyware/Viruses, something that isn't a problem on Linux at present, and whether it will is another matter entirely. Possibly in the near future.

I tried Mandrake 7.1 a few years back. Used it, found it was OK, did what I wanted straight off the installation. And I only had CD1. Then I used 10.0 Official and every other version since, no problems straight off installation.

Sure, some things are missing you need to add and install later. But a post on here sorts you out. Why complain? Ask the questions, and then be happier using Linux.

I think pbpersson has presented a thoughtful philosophical discussion, presenting some good observations.

Linux DOES require extra effort. This is the (currently) necessary price for being out of the computing main-stream. The freedom from malware offered by linux is worth this extra effort.