Mandriva 2006 desktop icons all wrong [solved]

Guest roadrash

Guest roadrash

I have just installed mandriva 2006 dvd version on one of my Pc's to see how it compared to the 05 version. It installed without ant problems until it booted into KDE & then I noticed all the icons were out of line with the icon text. also the taskbar icons were invisible until you ran the mouse pointer over them & they appeared.

even the menus in KDE seem corrupted. My intel i810 graphics card was detected & set set my AST vision 5L monitor up during the install. I tried setting up the intel graphics both with or without 3D acceleration but no change.

anyone else have this trouble or an answer for it?

Welcome aboard :)

Sounds like some problem with your graphics driver. Try to manually set up your graphics, running from a command-line XFdrake as root user. Remember not to boot into a graphical environment when you start that tool. E.g. launch an init 3 command first or boot directly into init 3 in failsafe mode. And remember to write down your previous settings, in case you make it even worse, so you can restore that.

Oh, before you start that, check if you have the same problems if you start IceWM instead of KDE.

try changing the graphics to 16 bit instead of 24 bit

i have the same problem on all versions of 2006 ..betas and rc's.

switching to 16 bit worked for me except i have to switch back to 24 bit to play dvds

Edited by ddmcse