What does Linux want to be?

pbpersson

Sorry, didn't mean to go over your head. Users can't go out of the $HOME DIR...so again...Gotta be root. Why?

I have no idea, something like a flash plugin should be able to be installed in ~/.browser/plugins or equally into a global position by root. I suppose you can argue that because you're getting a binary only package from a manufacturer (not the case with all java distros) then you can't expect freedom, but pffft... :P

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bvc, I doubt that you were going over neddie's head - just that he answered your question at a different level....

When I think about it, you could have/create the option for users to install rpm (deb, whatever) packages as root (doubleclick and get prompted for the password), or as regular user, in which case the program would get installed in the user's home, either in ~/bin or whatever plugin location is most useful.

Think about this, and then reject it - it's more headaches than any admin will want to deal with.

Or is it?

In any case, technically you can put your flash plugin somewhere in your /home/user dir - remember, you can cpio files out of an rpm, it's just a special archive.

Most webbrowsers allow you to specify where to look for plugins anyway.

It doesn't make much sense though - the Unix filesystem is organised in a good way, a way that makes senses (to advanced/power users at least), and by putting things in places because one feels like it is not the way to go about things - though you certainly can if you want to.

Frankly, I don't see the issue of having to use the root password to install the flash plugin and the like.

Actually, Linux doesn't want anything.

It's obediently doing exactly as it's told, as far as it can do so.

So maybe the question is: what do you want Linux to be, and how far are you prepared to go to make that happen?

After all, it is Free Software.

The further you go from the currently directly available options, the more effort you'll have to put in.

For instance, if you want it to be a drop-in replacement of Windows, which it's currently not, you'll have to put in some effort.

Or, you can investigate what functions it can fulfil for you today.

Or, you can run it on some uncommon processor and build a very low power home theatre system (I just recently saw a mini-itx box where the main chip had hardware decoding for mpeg and such - power consumption ~5W, and same functionality as these small VIA based systems; not even a heatsink...).

"Ask not what Linux wants to be, ask what you want it to be for you!"