How can I hotsync a Palm Tx via WiFi?

ffrr

Guest Gunnar René

HI.

I haven't been able to try syncing through IP (net:any) yet, since I'm still setting up my wireless connection.

However, I found a trick that got my USB sync to work correctly:

The usb system is correctly set up, so lsusb returns

gunnarre@sapiens:~$ lsusb

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

Bus 001 Device 099: ID 0830:0061 Palm, Inc.

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 046d:c001 Logitech, Inc. N48/M-BB48 [FirstMouse Plus]

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

(The palm T|X is device 99 on bus 1 because I have hotsynced about 90 times today.) Some USB stacks detect devices without problems (though the entire configuration might not be automatic), while one system (kernel 2.4) I tried required a cold restart to detect the Palm although it would detect other devices without problems.

I allready have the visor and usbserial modules set up. And the usb system is kind enough to automatically connect the correct endpoint to a /dev/ttyUSB1 or /dev/ttyUSB0 node, and then point /dev/pilot to that node. (The reason that the visor module recognizes the palm, is that vendor=0x0830 product=0x0061 has been configured into some kind of configuration file. This could be in the header file for the visor.o / visor.ko module (drivers/usb/serial/visor.h), or perhaps in /etc/hotplug/usb.handmap.)

So kpilot cheerfully reported

04:06:21 Trying to open device /dev/pilot...

04:06:21 Device link ready.

Then I pressed the HotSync button the sync cable, and the readout was

04:06:21 Device link ready.

04:18:58 Unable to read system information from Pilot

Pilot-link reported the same as kpilot:
gunnarre@sapiens:~$ pilot-xfer -l

No $PILOTPORT specified and no -p <port> given.

Defaulting to '/dev/pilot'

Listening to port: /dev/pilot

Please press the HotSync button now... Connected

Error read system info on /dev/pilot

This is probably a result of the usb address of the Palm T|X changing every time the HotSync button is pressed: /dev/pilot is thus moved to a different endpoint, and the connection drops right after it was initiated.

The way around this was to press the hotsync button JUST before starting kpilot, instead of after the device link was ready. I had to try a few times to get the timing right, but then it worked beautifully.

The conduits in kpilot then worked (at least those that I use), but kpilot crashed when backing up WiFiCoreLib, so I added it to the "No backup" field in Settings > Configuration > General Setup > Backup. The full field, in my set-up, is this:

FATFS,ImgFile-Foto,[Arng],[PmDB],[a86k],[lnch],WiFiCoreLib

Edited by Gunnar René

• 1 year later...
Guest ikaruga

I know that this is an old post, but what do you guys mean by "perfect" sync?

When I try evolution, contacts sync "perfectly" but Category tags don't. Ditto calendar. Categories are very useful -- have you guys had any success syncing them?

As for kdepim, it crashes all the time -- i have not been able to sync with that at all.

I have a palm T/X.

Evolution 2.12.0

Pilot-link 0.12.2

• 1 month later...