Installing Mandriva 2006 - Nvidia issue - Help!

FreeEagle

Hi all,

I did a Mandriva 2006 newtwork installation ( Clean Installation ), everything went well. After finishing the installation i restarted the PC, and i get at the end a black screen with many color lines, i can move the mouse cursor , but there is no more than black screen and these Colors, i can not even change to the Console mode to see where is the Problem.

I have Nvidia Gforce4 Graphic Card with AGP8X "64M RAM"

AMD Athlon 2600+ with Barton

ASUS Motherboard A7V8X-X

Samsung 80G HDD

Hauppauge WinTV Card.

768 M RAM

SAMTRON Monitor 76DF

Any help please!!!!

FreeEagle

Note: I have installed the Free Version of Mandriva 2006.

Boot to failsafe mode, which will bring you to the command line prompt as the root user.

Then execute the XFdrake command. This will allow you to reconfigure your graphics/monitor setup.

Then run the Test menu selection to verify that you get a good test pattern.

Reboot normally.

Please post the part of your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file that refers to your videocard.

To leave the garbled screen, press alt+ctrl+backspace. It will either probe for another usable screen config, or fallback to CLI.

BTW did you install any of the non-GPL "nvidia-something" packages or not?

I could not login in the Graphic mode, so i did not install any Packages :)

FreeEagle

The driver for Nvidia cards (nv) that comes with the version of Xorg shipped with MDV2006 is broken. Your description of your screen is exactly what you get when when that driver is used in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

Mandriva did include a version of the commercial (non-GPL) driver from Nvidia on CD3, as package dkms-nvidia-7676. You should be able to install that from the command line using the command "urpmi dkms-nvidia-7676", and you can get to the command line using the failsafe boot option.

I haven't installed the dkms package myself -- I use the driver directly from Nvidia -- so I can't walk you through the process in detail. Perhaps someone who has will add to this thread.

The nvidia dkms is only available to club members and the owners of packs/downloads from the store!!!

Try reinstalling and use the generic "vesa" driver, and not the generic nvidia driver (nv). Or if you are confident enough, edit the /etc/X11/Xorg.conf file changing the display driver from nv to vesa (I think, never had to do it myself as I use the dkms).

This was noted in the errata