Visioneer scanner

grendal

My dad has been having trouble with his pc (it was infested with spyware and viruses, can you belive it??and he uses protection too!), which he then took to a retailer, who promptly wiped his XP out and reinstalled Xp. However he cannot update anymore, as microsoft is saying he doesn't have a valid version. He is calling today to try and get it straightened out.

Enter LINUX. All my parents do on their pc is get/send email, surf the web and put in pics from their camera. So why not Linux? But he has a visioneer scanner model 8100, which doesn't seem to be supported in linux. So has anyone got this to work? What were you using?

I'm thinking of having them try SimplyMEPIS (i'll take my disc over tonight). But I'm open to suggestions. They will need a fairly simple system to use, so maybe I'll even try mandy. Thanks

In linux, there is good support for scsi scanners. Most of the good scanners that are supported that are not scsi are rather expernsive. None of the 69$-99$ are supported. There is some development going on, but the vendors do not wish to cooperate with linux.

For MS, all oem installed os must be reinstalled by the oem method. Otherwise, you lose the rights to use. Furthermore, if you replace your motherboard, any ms os is expired and you must purchase a new copy. It seems they just are not making enough money. Your dad needs to contact the original vendor to get a licensed copy. I do this dtuff in my own business and face this situation every week. The store your dad took it to blew it. Save yourself some time and buy a copy. Trust me, it is a lost cause.