Walmart, now Sam's club

Guest ndeb

http://www.cpubuilders.com/products/cbs112l/

Sam's club is selling linux (rh-8.0) desktops too. In the link above, the system vendor also has something new: linux support guide ( http://www.cpubuilders.com/support/linux_s...r_guide-1.0.pdf ).

Its a 40 page manual that seems very informative for beginners.

One noticable thing is a total lack of video/DVD players.

Sam's club is the member's only discount arm of Walmart. It's for people who like to buy in bulk at a price savings. You can get things like small drums of Tang or paper towells by the case.

I always have mixed emotions about Linux at Wal-Mart. Seems that the retail monopoly would favor the marketing monopoly. But who knows, Wal-Mart might decide to take on the Redmond Giant with a linux distro exclusively. Now that would be interesting. "Linux - the Member's Mark OS"

I'm actually glad to see them pushing linux no matter how bad I dislike the two years I spent working for them. Just don't like the way they demoralize their employees. Of course most of their employees aren't very l337 so they don't know they are getting shafted by Bentonville.

I'll give them this much though, I really should have gone after the stock option back in `96 when I started with them. I'd be rollin' in dough by now. The stock must have split no less than 3 times since then, each time at around $80.

I just wish they'd bring back ML to the shelf. They used to sell 8.2 - I guess nobody knew what it was at that time. I'm just glad to see that Linux continues to grow. Even if Wal-Mart is putting fertilizer on it to make it do so.