No root password prompt for MCC

Guest zool2005

Guest zool2005

Hi Everyone,

I have a rather frustrating problem, I have added my user name to the %wheel line in /etc/group file and edited the sudoers file (not the no password line) and now I can access MCC and RPM Packaging without a password prompt coming up. When I take my name out again I get the prompts.

I'm using MDK 2006 and it never used to happen with 10.2.

I'm just wondering whether there is a line in one of the files that sets the command permissions?

Can anyone suggest what's happening?

:help:

A big welcome to MUB, zool2005.

That sounds like a related problem that I am having with 2006-official that did not exist in 2005-LE.

I am using KDM (thacs 3.5) and have set it up to show both root and my account in the login screen. Remember I have edited kdmrc to no use a kdm theme. Root still does not appear in the login screen. When I type in root and password and enter it says "root login not permitted". Not permitted ???? Hell whose machine is this, mine or someone elses connected with Mandriva ???

I repeat that this is NOT a password problem with root. Since my 2006-official is a urpmi upgrade from 2006-2beta this may have something to do with it. This is one of the reasons I am awaiting the release of the 2006-official ISOs so I can do a clean install and see if the problem still exists.

I can get round it by rebooting in safemode to get into root so it confirms that the password is aok.

Maybe some has a suggestion of an edit to some particular file ???.

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

Update.

Well I fixed the problem of root not appearing as a choice in the KDM login.

I had a look at kdmrc in 2005-LE with kde3.4.2 and compared it with 2006-Official with kde3.5 installed,

In my 2006 I found this :-

[X-:*-Core]

AllowNullPasswd=true

AllowShutdown=All

NoPassEnable=false

NoPassUsers=

In my 2005 I found this :-

AllowNullPasswd=true

AllowRootLogin=true

AllowShutdown=All

NoPassEnable=false

NoPassUsers=

So in 2006 I added the missing line, saved and relogged in. Sure enough the choice was back on the login panel and works perfectly. Even did a reboot to fully check it out and works correctly again. :thumbs:

If you have a similar problem it could be your answer. Note: did it all from the gui and not the cli. Sorry geeks. :D :D :D

Edited by AussieJohn

Update.

Well I fixed the problem of root not appearing as a choice in the KDM login.

I had a look at kdmrc in 2005-LE with kde3.4.2 and compared it with 2006-Official with kde3.5 installed,

In my 2006 I found this :-

AllowNullPasswd=true

AllowShutdown=All

NoPassEnable=false

NoPassUsers=

In my 2005 I found this :-

AllowNullPasswd=true

AllowRootLogin=true

AllowShutdown=All

NoPassEnable=false

NoPassUsers=

So in 2006 I added the missing line, saved and relogged in. Sure enough the choice was back on the login panel and works perfectly.  Even did a reboot to fully check it out and works correctly again.  :thumbs:

Well done, John. :)
Note: did it all from the gui and not the cli.  Sorry geeks. :D  :D  :D

Booooooo!.... :dodge:

:lol: