Playing Quicktime in Linux [solved]

fangbite

I have some various mov files which I love to watch (as well as a friend of mine only distributes in that format a little video he does) but I can't seem to find something to watch that format in linux. I saw quicktime 4 linux but wasn't too sure of them (their site was very "we might run it, we might not"). Can anyone suggest something that would work for me to watch these files?

• 8 months later...

Hello scarecrow.

Thanks for the reference to VLC.

Had a quick look at the site and will download it when I get back to my home computer in a weeks time, to try it out. It looks like an interesting one.

Cheers. John.

vlc is based on a (heavily tweaked) ffmpeg base, and all formats are supported natively- so, no codecs are needed.

Of course not everything is rosy, i.e. o my puter wmv playback is very choppy (compared to mplayer with codecs), going back and forth in divx/xvid containers is hardly an option, but for plain playback it-just-works... natively.

Oh, I forgot to mention that it uses a dreadful wxgtk UI, and it's darn ugly... but you do play your videos in fullscreen mode, don't you? :D