2006-official

AussieJohn

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just entered manually the Mandy mirror closest to me (ntua.gr) and everything is there: minimal ISO, DVD, plus 3 CD images.

I'll image my Arch installation on my laptop, and try this one (startiing of course from the minimal ISO, as always). I'm curious how some obnoxious hardware present (Motorola SM56 winmodem, Texas instruments 4-in1 card reader, embedded webcam, Realtek/Intel HD soundcard, Yukon Marvell NIC) will work either out-of-the box or without recompiling the kernel and using alchemistic recipes.

As I've heard MDV has problems with Yukon hardware :unsure:

That's only with the netinstall as sk98lin is not available in the minimal boot iso. It should be on the download iso's (everyone else does). Just make sure that mandriva uses sk98lin and not skge (the open source driver) as it can't handle 2nd generation yukon cards!

ic, tnx

on another note: the previous years (and versions) it was an easy choice - if there's a new version, install it asap, but now I've been trying hard to find a reason to install the new mandriva. :juggle:

my instincts still tell me - you have to have it,

but then my reason says that all that you need mdv2005 already does perfectly (I've updated all the software).

so I'm currently downloading the new version and will install it on my friend's computer sometime this week :lol2:

Edited by solarian

I installed 2006 on my spare work PC that was urpmi upgraded from LE2005, and seems to be OK so far. At least I can run qemu this time with the kqemu module :P

The only niggle from the urpmi upgrade is that some installs had signature problems, but I just forced them through. I'm unsure at present whether this affects CD/DVD installs, but will check later when my DVD has finished downloading, and then I'll try an install, and urpmi some software and see what happens.

Just made a base install. The greek keyboard is still broken (well known issue), resolved via updating xorg with the latest one from Thac.

Only icewm as window manager ATM, I will install 3.5.0 RC1 from thac and see how it works (under Arch it works fine, excluding automount, as KDE there was built without HAL support).

Generally it works quite OK.

Edited by scarecrow