2006-official

AussieJohn

I started Linux with SuSE 6.1 (which surely enough was a mess) and then moved to various SuSE and Mandrake flavors. I was a Mandy diehard (although at times I had tried Debian Sid, Slackware/Vector, Fedora, Mepis, Kanotix, PCLinuxOS...) since August, 2004 when I tried for the first time Arch Linux.

Since then I never looked back- actually I install other linuxes out of curiosity, but there's nothing really left to be desired. I just want to find which is the best noob Linux distro to recommend to friends- but myself is 101% satisfied with Arch.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as we're comparing distro's, I find it interesting to see that everyone has one that they found (more) disastrous compared to others.

Me, I started using Mdk somewhere around 8.0 and after 8.2 I decided to put my money where my mouth is.

It's never been catastrophic, and each new release brought enough to the table for me to move to it.

Then again, I'm not the type to give up - to me there's no real alternative to Linux (well, BSD maybe), so I just have to make it work. And so I do. Even with missing drivers, which was the worst for me, imagine no ir remote control!!

And I've seen enough of Linux to know that to me, it actually makes little difference which version I'd use, I'm quite certain that by now I could build my own if I really wanted to and had the time.

Since I don't have the time, I stick with something easy to use, and if you see how short my config page has become with mdv2006 you see why I like it - I doubt that any other Linux would make my 'to configure' list shorter than it is now.

Hello!

I just installed Mdv2006 on my "salon" PC. It's wonderfull! I'm much in the same position than aRTee, except I'm not sure I would be able to build my own Linux distribution if I wanted to :)

I'm amazed by 2006: it's actually fast, nice-looking and so easy to use!

After installing the distribution, I plugged my USB WiFi stick, and then I was about to configure a new network (wireless) connexion BUT... too late! Mandriva closed the just-opened wizard, and I noticed the little "signal-meter" in the Gnome panel.

What's happening?, I thought. I opened Firefox, and :banana: Easy-Urpmi was there, ready to use! Excellent!

I'm glad I switched.

Yves.

yep that is what i am doing today. the torrent stuff just feels giddy (i dont have to pay for every bandwidth consumed like what happened to some administrator called paul). :D

good thing there is a nearby mirror. im pulling 100kbps. when i go home mid-december this will all just be a dream. :(

ciao!

Brand and exact model number of USB wifi stick please!

And maybe lspci or lshw info for the device!

Oh I just realize this was probably for me :)

I have a D-Link DWL-G122, revision B1, working with ndiswrapper using W2K drivers from D-Link web site.

Note that the above worked only because I had the W2K drivers loaded during Mandriva installation. Yet I'm impressed, because with 2005LE, I had to compile my own kernel and ndiswrapper, and the result was still way more unstable and unreliable.

Yves.