2006-official

AussieJohn

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

e.g distrowatch. ;)

I read the "very brief" snippet at distrowatch, i'm surprised that the author did not stress the following enough:

and includes a development version of the X.Org X window system

As always, it is a good idea to test the product before spending money on it.

Something, IMHO, every noob should be made aware of!!!

Edited by Reiver_Fluffi

Maybe, and just maybe they are actually listening to the club and postponing the release until at least the Xorg bugs are killed, maybe, just maybe!

i have just installed mandy 2006, and i must say it looks much better.

however it seems slow compared to 2005le?.

crack attack does not even open!

i click "crack attack" from the games menu and then i get a little grey box come up

where i can play extreme or not and when i click play..............................nothing!!

the downloads went fine and the burning of the disks went fine also.

checksummed all the way from the downloads to the individual disks burned.

all check sums correct.

also it identified my scsi card (adaptec 2910) but not my scsi re/writer (yamaha 4x4x16)?

2005le did it all straight out the box so why not 2006?

if it ain't broke why fix it?

as i said it looks great, but i fear mandy are going the same way as microshaft!

looks great but don't work very well.

i must admit i had my doubts about this release, combining 3 seperate branches ( conectiva, lycoris , and mandrake) would be problematic (i just wish i had the knowledge required to help out) and i expected one of two things .............o/s nirvana or....... o/s hell.

on balance i would say closer to nirvana, but come on mandriva why release it when you knew it wasn't ready (regarding xorg bugs)?

maybe its because i'm a degenerate freeloader and i am expecting too damn much from a "freebie" but damn.... something that works would be nice after all the hype and expectation that was built up!

i have tried and liked all mandrake releases from 7.2 onwards but i feel particularly let down this time around, mainly because of all the hype, kinda like being promised a ferari and actually recieving a mazda mx5 great car but not the ferari !

this actually sounds a lot worse than i actually feel about 2006 it does look much better and i feel it is a great improvement over 2005le its just those silly little things that could put off a newbie and that worries me!

i would rather wait a month or two longer and have a great release than be impatient and have a buggy one.

i do however appreciate all the hard work that has gone into this release and i KNOW that these bugs will get ironed out i'll be patient and wait.

overall 7.5 /10

EDIT ADDED AFTER ORIGINAL POST

OK I HOLD MY HANDS UP AND APOLOGISE !!!!!

i have found out that the cdr's i burned too were duff discs?

bloomin sony ones too!

well either that or my writer didn't like them much (nor any other cd / dvd rom drive i have in three seperate machines).

burnt the data ok and did the checksum ok but for some reason just could not install correctly from them? go figure.

re-burned discs using cheap brand and voila! mandy 2006 installed properly this time.

no issues so far, and it is definately faster than 2005le (mind you i didn't install kat!)

by the way, these little problems are my findings on my spare machine.

p3 500 coppermine, 128 mb pc100 ram, 32mb s3 savage 4 pro graphics card (AGP),

10gb western digital hdd, adaptec 2910 scsi card, 4x4x16 yamaha scsi re/writer and creative 128 (ensonique 1371) sound card, 50 x afreey cd rom drive, microstar 6513 motherboard (via chipset)

regards

reb2

Edited by reb2

Well I definitely want to wait until the bugs get worked out. Gentoo is for tinkering. I expect Mandriva to work out of the box as it always has and my daughter uses it so I don't feel like having to mess with her computer. Call me lazy. :P

Hmm... when I first installed it, I had some issues with 2006. I wiped it. Then I reinstalled and added the 34 or so updates and almost everything works perfectly (gnome-cd is still broken. but that is no showstopper. Totem plays my audio cds without probs).

If it ain't broken, don't fix it. Easy to say, hard to implement. As you might have heard, the new release is compiled with gcc4 and several distros had probs with gcc4. And when you compile one part with gcc4, you cannot use an older compiler for the rest. It will break your machine. So they HAD to recompile every package. But come time, come bugfixes. Other distros had more problems with gcc4 than Mandriva. ;)

I did two urpmi upgrades on my LE2005 machine at work, and my LE2005 laptop.

Only the desktop gives me little problems like mouse disappearing in X. OK, I restart X and no problem. Oh, and that Euphoria only runs in the top third of the screen. But other than that working OK. The laptop however, doesn't have the mouse problem just yet, but I've not tested it long enough to be sure. But I will do :P

I might try a fresh install of 2006 and see if this makes it run any better. I'm not sure if what I'm experiencing is because of the urpmi upgrade, or not. Fun, fun, fun.

I'm not touching MDV2006 for half a year at least,

But that is exactly what we used to say about the new windows versions..

Were not upgrading until the product settles down..

I don't see that as a negative, more of a correct move for most people. Let the Others check the version out now and then i will upgrade when i feel i need the extra options..

I am actually using 2006 now and really happy with its performance on my laptop..

Edited by michaelcole

I think as far as releases, 8.2 was the only one that really worked out of the box. All the rest have had buggy types of issues that got corrected in a few weeks. My gauge for disaster is 8.1. 2006 is no where near the horrible release 8.1. B)

My gauge for disaster is 8.1.

I actually started with 8.1 as a complete linux newbie. I thought it was great. Everything worked fine for me. The only version I've had problems with is LE 2005 and that's because I have to set up the wireless card again everytime after a reboot.