2006-official

AussieJohn

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last I heard, it was meant to be early November, there's still no date available at qa.mandriva.com! Although they are taking a good bruising from the club members at the moment over a few major bugs, only one of which you will get a work around from the Errata, the other two you need forums like this to get answers for! Maybe, and just maybe they are actually listening to the club and postponing the release until at least the Xorg bugs are killed, maybe, just maybe!

Guest zool2005

Why not try a network install?

I tried it for the first time on Saturday and I must say I was very impressed with how easy it was and it only took 2hrs (on a 1mb connection) rather than the 4.5 hrs to download the 3 isos as I used to.

Just download the boot cd, burn it, reboot and follow the instructions.

:D

Last I heard, it was meant to be early November, there's still no date available at qa.mandriva.com!  Although they are taking a good bruising from the club members at the moment over a few major bugs, only one of which you will get a work around from the Errata, the other two you need forums like this to get answers for!  Maybe, and just maybe they are actually listening to the club and postponing the release until at least the Xorg bugs are killed, maybe, just maybe!

Currently it seems the Xorg bugs will be solved in December when the final Xorg will be released so it's not really an option to wait to Xorg.

Hello zool2005. I have already upgraded to 2006-official some time ago and am uptodate plus I am using thacs kde3.5 rpms. I want to upgrade some other peoples computers from 2005-LE who only have dialup.

To scarecrow, fluffi and dexter, the only bug I have experienced this far is when I close a panel in MCC it pops up a small panel which reads "This program has exited abnormally".

It does not do this when I close MCC though. Every part of MCC works AOK so it doesn't bother me at all.

Everything works when updating which I do once or twice a day. I have the latest xorg from cooker and my display is working perfectly. Even when using the various versions up till now I still have had no problems.

Every time I have updated xorg I have always found it necessary to reinstall the nvidia video driver but the process is so dammned simple that I do it as a matter of course.

konsole..............su................init 3 ..............ls /<where nvidis driver is located>............cd /<where driver is located>..............sh NVIDIA************* ..............Yes.......Yes..........Yes........Yes.......Yes.........reboot

It couldn't be any easier and takes a whole 2 minutes and its done and over with.

So it seems the answer to my question is 'in the next couple of weeks'.

Thanks all and cheers. John.

AJ,

The last few releases have seen the Isos released 1 month after the Club members were able to get them.

November 13th is that day.... Yes I'm counting... Will probably take a few days to populate the mirrors...Like you I've had "issues" with the upgrade from 2006.05RC, and from the forum there's still some bugs to squash (Xorg,usb...etc)

cheers Growler

p.s. when will we get together for that beer?

Hello zool2005.          I have already upgraded to 2006-official some time ago and am uptodate plus I am using thacs kde3.5 rpms.                          I want to upgrade some other peoples computers from 2005-LE who only have dialup.

Hi John,

There is one thing you could try quite easily. I've not done it yet, but I was going to. With a fast connection, download the FTP mirror for 2006. Then burn this to media, so you can then upgrade the machines. Obviously this means you need to ensure they have Linux on it to upgrade :P

I decided to wait, because the problems I was trying to overcome was actually making bootable CD/DVD with all this on, so I didn't have to wait for them to become publicly available.

Hi growler.

I haven't forgotten about that drink together, just had a too busy time so far.

Hi ian. Like you I will wait for the iso release. It would likely take as long or longer to download the entire ftp than to download the three ISOs anyway.

Thanks for the 13th Nov window indication, growler.

I know Bigpond will be quick to put it up after it is available. I have noticed that its LINUX available downloads has increased at a fantastically increasing rate during this past year.

I wonder if any other ISPs around the world are doing anything similar or is this unique. I know that Optus and other ISPs in Australia are doing mirroring of LINUX software but I do not know if the downloads are free from the download count. Remember Telstra Bigpond is the ISP and not just a mirror site.

Info for those that don't know :-

All Bigpond broadband (Broadband only) customers can download an amazing array of Windows, Mac and Linux software for free (totally) and it is NOT included in any contract download restriction limits. When Firefox was released in the big media splash, Bigpond had it available within 24 hrs, the same applied to Open Office, Mandriva 10.1 and 10.2, Fedora etc etc.

Am I a Bigpond fan ???. You had better believe it.

Cheers all. John.

I know that Optus and other ISPs in Australia are doing mirroring of LINUX software but I do not know if the downloads are free from the download count. Remember Telstra Bigpond is the ISP and not just a mirror site.

John,

AFAIK, my ISP here in the UK (Telewest/Blueyonder) has mirrors for Debian and Gentoo, they are the only ones I know of though!

There is one thing you could try quite easily.  I've not done it yet, but I was going to.  With a fast connection, download the FTP mirror for 2006.  Then burn this to media, so you can then upgrade the machines.  Obviously this means you need to ensure they have Linux on it to upgrade :P

I decided to wait, because the problems I was trying to overcome was actually making bootable CD/DVD with all this on, so I didn't have to wait for them to become publicly available.

Why don't you use the ftp-install CD instead of downloading the whole ftp-tree? Way easier imho.

Why not try a network install?

Not possible here on my laptop: the included "sk98lin" driver for the onboard Yukon eth does not work, and I also cannot use my PCMCIA Realtek 8139 eth, as it doesn't seem to be any support for PCMCIA in the kernel included in the boot.ISO image.

Else, I agree a netinstall is the most economical way to install Mandy.