Really angry at Mandriva

VeeDubb

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, after having nothing else to try, (since I didn't want to wget the enitre repository which includes aobut 70gb of iso's) I decided to register my copy. Of course, It hadn't occured to me earlier, since I hadn't installed anything to register.

To make a long story short, it turns out that registering entitles you to one month of Silver membership at the club. Therefore, I wa able to download the iso with bit-torrent. I'm 95% done now.

As for being able to isntall all the extras without buying the powerpac, I know. I was just hoping they might ahve improved the store enough to where I could support them financialy again.

2006 seems like a big step up, so I'll probably use it fora while. However, when I'm done with it, I'll be finding a new distro unless I've heard great things about the store changing.

Okay. Now that I have 2006 installed, I must say it's fantastic. The new kde, better designed logo's, 70% shorter boot times. It's just wonderful. It's everything that linux should be. Fast, stable and beautiful.

I just wish that someone with a clue ran the store.

It's a bit strange though..

The Mandrake/Mandriva store is being damned by a lot of people for as long as I remember, yet it seems that Mandrakesoft has done nothing to improve their shop.

Yes, maybe it gives an insignificant part of their income, but that's no good reason to piss off your users/fans.

Sadly, my experience with vendor tech support and PC documentation in general has led me to the conclusion that 95% of it is WORTHLESS. This is regardless of OS, software vendor, or hdwr vendor. same goes for my phone co., ISP provider, utility co.,etc........

Yes, you are right, MDV should deliver the goods, but from a practical standpoint, I don't see how they can provide top flight tech support from the position they are in. Linux has what, 2 or 3% of the desktop market AND out of that Mandriva has 15 or 20% share, and out of that, maybe 20 to 30% of Mandriva users actually PAY for the product.

I'm absolutely not defending them, but you have to look at club membership more as a donation to the GNU/linux community, then you won't feel so bad about poor service.

I have always felt that if we are willing to put up with the 'sweat equity' of a fledgling industry

NOW, then maybe down the road, others will have an alternative to .....you know who.

If you wan't linux distributors to provide top flight customer service, then they are going to have to charge WAAAAAYYY more for their service, until the economies of scale kick in and the price comes down. Be careful what you wish for.....

Edited by Trio3b

Okay. Now that I have 2006 installed, I must say it's fantastic. [...]

I just wish that someone with a clue ran the store.

Glad that you got the distro at last and enjoy it.

I think you could still let Mandriva people know that the way they treat their customer is not right. We've been hearing bad things about the store for so long -- it's high time they fix it.

you have to look at club membership more as a donation to the GNU/linux community, then you won't feel so bad about poor service.

I agree. I too see club membership as a way to contribute -- the only way for me actually as I don't know anything about coding or testing.

But a store is just.... a store and the least it can do is deliver what customers pay for.

I'm absolutely not defending them, but you have to look at club membership more as a donation to the GNU/linux community, then you won't feel so bad about poor service.

How can you believe that? Mandriva killed that notion in the way that is advertises the club benefits, and the fact that you sign up to a commercial contract for a fixed period of time. In reality it's x% donation to GNU Linux, and (100-x)% for a commercial product with all the bells and whistles attached!

A donation to get access at member-exclusive software? :o

BTW I am considering donating something @ Archlinux, where everything (including java, P2P, codecs, DVD descramblers, third party artwork...) is free as in free speech- but Mandy Club access is most certainly not a "donation".

In reality it's x% donation to GNU Linux, and (100-x)% for a commercial product with all the bells and whistles attached!

I don't agree. Aren't some Mandriva employees contributing to free software? See for instance linuxprinting.org

Mandriva killed that notion in the way that is advertises the club benefits, and the fact that you sign up to a commercial contract for a fixed period of time.

Here you have a point. I really think Mandriva should stop advertising the club benefits.

IMHO there's only one benefit: the early access to the ISOs. Besides I'm sure most club members didn't join to gain these so called benefits.

Mandriva would be better off simply saying "download the distro and if you like it join our club --or our developpers/testers tream-- to show your appreciation".

Edited by bergamote

In reality it's x% donation to GNU Linux, and (100-x)% for a commercial product with all the bells and whistles attached!

I don't agree. Aren't some Mandriva employees contributing to free software? See for instance linuxprinting.org

Erm, I didn't say that they didn't contribute, what I was saying was what they plough back into GNU Linux in financial terms is nothing compared to what you paid, there is a profit element after all, and Mandriva's own costs to cover (it is afterall a profit making corporation)

Mandriva killed that notion in the way that is advertises the club benefits, and the fact that you sign up to a commercial contract for a fixed period of time.

Here you have a point. I really think Mandriva should stop advertising the club benefits.

IMHO there's only one benefit: the early access to the ISOs. Besides I'm sure most club members didn't join to gain these so called benefits.

Mandriva would be better off simply saying "download the distro and if you like it join our club --or our developpers/testers tream-- to show your appreciation".

That wont work, and hasn't in the past a far as Mandriva is concerned! You need to motivate people to give their money, and the best way is to sell a product that they want!

Edited by Reiver_Fluffi

Nothing wrong with the idea of club membership as being a donation if that's the way it's advertised. But it's not.

Mandriva sell a product and services and that's what you're being asked to pay for. If you don't recieve them then you shouldn't pay for them.

By all means donate money to Mandriva to thank them for all their hard work for the open source community, but that's not what club membership is supposed to be...

Nothing wrong with the idea of club membership as being a donation if that's the way it's advertised. But it's not.

Mandriva sell a product and services and that's what you're being asked to pay for. If you don't recieve them then you shouldn't pay for them.

By all means donate money to Mandriva to thank them for all their hard work for the open source community, but that's not what club membership is supposed to be...