changing mouse to left-handed [solved]

pbpersson

well if all you want is to play some games, install and use Gnome. According to this

http://www.mozillaquest.com/Linux_News04/M...se_Story01.html

the left handed mouse config in the Gnome Control Center works

So far, the biggest problem we have found with 32-bit Mandrake 10.1 Official is that you cannot switch from a right-handed mouse to a left-handed mouse using the KDE Control Center > Peripherals > Mouse panel. If you are a lefty and use the KDE desktop, you might want to stay away from Mandrake 10.1..........

The switch to a left-handed mouse works in the Mandrake 10.1 GNOME desktop. However, we have experienced other problems using the mouse when in the GNOME desktop on Mandrake 10.1.

UMM.....I read that article as well, but the "other problems" they experienced in Gnome has me concerned. Thanks to the help I have received I almost have this working now.

Say....I have always wondered.....if I finally learn what utilities to run in KDE like Kaffeine and KOOKA and Koffee and KopperKettle and whatever else....do I need to learn an entirely new set of utilities that all start with "G" in the Gnome world?

I tried Gnome once and it all looked so strange I came running right back to KDE.

:D

Phil

Now for the inversion. This should be doable simply with xmodmap. See my article if that helps:

http://yves.gablin.club.fr/pc/linux.php?article=config/mouse

Yves.

Yves -

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

I put the command in some input shell script in that profile folder and it works great!

After all that work, I discovered that when I installed Linux on this machine months ago I never installed any games. :cry:

Oh, well.....that should be an easy task tomorrow. I think the difficult part is over. I have Mandrake 10.1 working with a left-handed mouse!

Thanks again! :banana:

Phil

Glad you got it working!

Say....I have always wondered.....if I finally learn what utilities to run in KDE like Kaffeine and KOOKA and Koffee and KopperKettle and whatever else....do I need to learn an entirely new set of utilities that all start with "G" in the Gnome world?

I tried Gnome once and it all looked so strange I came running right back to KDE.

You can use the KDE apps in Gnome, just like you can use gnome apps in KDE.

Gnome usually has its own app, but you do not have to use them.

pb,

Your frustration is real, but it may not be entirely due to GNU/linux. Being creatures of habit, our PERCEPTION is that things should work just like we're used to , eg. Windows. That doesn't mean that everything the Windows GUI does is the best way. It just means it was the ONLY way for a long time and so we got used to it. Are there some issues with linux? Of course. But so are there with MS products.

Have you ever tried to make FAT and NTFS play nice?

Did you ever try to get MS Backup to work properly between W98 or ME and W2000? What was the deal with putting in msconfig, then taking it out then back in again. Why is just about every version of MS Works incompatible with every other one. If you're trying to run a business with Works, you're screwed. Did you know that MS Outlook .pst files between Office 2000 and Office 2003 are not readily compatible, and there is no good technical reason why they shouldn't be?

AS FOR HARDWARE WORKING OUT OF THE BOX, Over the past 3 mos. I have built 6 PCs with varying parts and Mandrake/Mandriva had drivers for ALL OF THE FOLLOWING HDWR, except a Canon printer and a winmodem. Wme, W2000 and Wxp did NOT HAVE DRIVERS for the following:

Matrox G400 video

SiS 625 integrated video

HSP56 modem

Canon C555 printer

Epson C82 printer

Cmedia audio

amigo IA56 hdwr modem

SiS onboard ethernet

Samsung 2151 laser printer

SiS integrated audio

First, linux has the same problem that most things do... the documentation could be better, but that's true in the Windows world as well. I usually type in a request on friday, enjoy my weekend, and have an answer by Sunday. For me that's WAAYY better than sitting on the phone for tech support for 45 minutes or longer. (Just a suggestion, maybe set up a cheap PC with linux that you can "trash" for experience. I bought a 500 mhz Plll for about $75). Second, I thought back on my "learning Windows" days and realize that it took me hours to get some things done in Windows as well. It's just that now that I know how to "BE PRODUCTIVE" in Windows, my perception is that I should get things done as fast in a new OS (that I have little knowledge of) as I do in an OS that I have had years of practice with...........Makes no sense! Little by little, linux will take the best out of other OSs and incorporate them, just as MS "borrowed/stole" lots of stuff from other platforms (including linux/unix) to include in their OS.

Mandrake 10.0 was solid for me. 10.1 was a little flaky, and now MDV 10.2 (2005LE) seems back up to snuff. Glad you got your mouse buttons sorted out.

If you are willing to put in the "sweat equity" of learning and using linux now, then others will have an alternative to MS down the road.

good luck

Edited by Trio3b

You can use the KDE apps in Gnome, just like you can use gnome apps in KDE.

Gnome usually has its own app, but you do not have to use them.

Hi, bvc

I was wonering whether running a KDE application in Gnome (or vice versa) would inflict some (unnecessary) overhead, as I noticed KDE has its own ways to communicate?

So, to run a KDE app in Gnome you have to load part of KDE that dubbs certain Gnome functions, don't you?