Firefox 1.0.7 won't install

neilinoz

I use Firefox 1.0.2. I finally decided today to download the tarball and follow the instructions found at the firefox site:

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/re.../1.0.7.html#new

Extract the tarball and run the installer like so:

tar -xzvf firefox-1.0.7.installer.tar.gz

cd firefox-installer

./firefox-installer

I followed these instructions. I got the following error:

SCIM: im_module_init

free(): invalid pointer 0x8228810!

free(): invalid pointer 0x82287e8!

./firefox-installer: line 56: 4389 Segmentation fault ./${BINNAME}-bin $@

Edited by neilinoz

Here's a fuller treatment of the BASH

[root@ozemail 1 neil]# cd TarGZ\ Downloads

[root@ozemail TarGZ Downloads]# dir

2914_files firefox-installer Mediawiki

2914.html Installing\ Mozilla.sxw mediawiki-1.3.11.tar.gz

crossfire-1.6.0 install-linux_files mozplugger-1.5.0-3mdk.i586.rpm

crossfire-1.6.0.maps-big.tar.gz install-linux.html Open\ Clip\ Art

crossfire-1.6.0.tar.gz jdkfiles_files Stratagus

dbx jdkfiles.html thunderbird

firefox-1.0.4.installer.tar.gz libdvdcss-1.2.8-1.i386.rpm thunderbird-1.0.tar.gz

firefox-1.0.7.installer.tar.gz libdvdcss-1.2.8-1.src.rpm

[root@ozemail TarGZ Downloads]# ./firefox-installer

bash: ./firefox-installer: is a directory

[root@ozemail TarGZ Downloads]# cd firefox-installer

[root@ozemail firefox-installer]# ./firefox-installer

SCIM: im_module_init

free(): invalid pointer 0x8228810!

free(): invalid pointer 0x82287e8!

./firefox-installer: line 56: 4389 Segmentation fault ./${BINNAME}-bin $@

If you keep up with the updates you will have the most recent Firefox. 1.0.7 is 1.0.2 with various security fixes. If you keep your 2005 up to date you will see in the Help menu ->About Firefox that you are using the most recent firefox. The 1.0.2 you are wondering about is the Mandriva package number. No need to install the tar.gz files from Firefox. Also there have been quite a few posts about this and updating Firefox that you should check out.

Firefox was not part of the Mandrake 10.1 installation that I had. In order to get Firefox I downloaded it and followed the instructions...

Whenever I do a Mandrake update, Firefox is not listed.

Which URPMI do I go to to get the latest release of Firefox?

Well, according to the "Search results for Firefox", the latest rpms for Mandrake are 1.0.2.

1.0.7 seems available for every other distro (Suse, Fedora, etc). Is it possible to download one of those rpms?

Update:

I downloaded firefox-1.0.7.installer.tar.gz for the "Other" Mandrake distro (10.x is 1.0.4). Didn't work.

Edited by neilinoz

When I install firefox, I do not use the installer version of the tarball. If you download the other tarball that does not have the installer and unzip it, you will have a folder named firefox. Move this folder to where you would like (I put mine in /opt).

I would also delete any pre-existing profiles by deleting the hidden folder .mozilla.

I would also delete any pre-existing profiles by deleting the hidden folder .mozilla.

Although this recommendation should in general be followed in many cases, you should delete firefox profiles as a last resort. In that case, all settings, cookies etc., will be lost. I have recently upgraded FF to 1.0.7 from mozilla.org - there was no need to delete profiles.

Hello Leilinoz.

I am not certain but I do not remember Mandriva10.1 not having Firefox. I seem to remember that it was titled Mozilla-firefox and not just Firefox.

If you did not install the rpm package of firefox then of course you won't get rpm firefox updates.

As others have said, if you use the firefox updates for mandriva, you will have the latest version of firefox. I, myself have posted on this point so many times. :wall: I still find it amazing how many newbies decide they must install the latest package from Mozilla when they haven't learned to fully utilise and understand the mozilla-firefox rpm package they already have on their system (if they have it installed), because if they did then they would soon realise that they do not need to do things that way.

Ah well, I guess that is the way life is.

Cheers. John.