No Internet connection

RUMPLE4SKIN

Several days ago, my bootloader somehow got messed up while I was screwing with different options in MCC (that was bad for a novice). Anyway, I ended up reinstalling MandrivaLE2005. At first the internet connection would only stay active until I did what I did in the browser session.As soon as I closed it and tried to connect with another app, there was nothing. So I formatted and tried again and the same thing happened. Finally, when I reinstalled it, the connection was great until I ran EASY_URPMI and UPATES. Only this time I did nothing after updating, and after updating there was absolutely no connection. So to me updating (or one of it's files) caused this, but how am I suppose to know which file, there were 226?

So now I'm hoping the experts will help, please

Thank you in advance :)

What browser are you using?

Also, one thing worth doing, is at the terminal prompt:

ifconfig -a

if you see a "sit0" device, ipv6 is enabled and could be causing you lots of probs. I suggest you disable it by editing /etc/modprobe.conf and adding this line:

alias net-pf-10 off

One more thing, what is the make/model of network card?

I'm using firefox 1.0.2, which I wanted to upgrade to 1.0.7 but wasn't able to. The ifconfig -a output is as follows:

[root@Lippy gian]# ifconfig -a

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:00:C5:5F:01:44

inet6 addr: fe80::200:c5ff:fe5f:144/64 Scope:Link

UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1

RX packets:5261 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:16 errors:0 dropped:129 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000

RX bytes:251646 (245.7 Kb) TX bytes:1616 (1.5 Kb)

Interrupt:16 Base address:0xc000

eth0:9 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:00:C5:5F:01:44

inet addr:127.255.255.255 Bcast:127.255.255.255 Mask:255.0.0.0

UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1

RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

Interrupt:16 Base address:0xc000

eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:20:ED:36:E7:1D

BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1

TX packets:17 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:2682 (2.6 Kb)

Interrupt:20

lo Link encap:Local Loopback

inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0

inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host

UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1

RX packets:424 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:424 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

RX bytes:31921 (31.1 Kb) TX bytes:31921 (31.1 Kb)

sit0 Link encap:IPv6-in-IPv4

inet6 addr: ::65.186.87.50/96 Scope:Compat

inet6 addr: ::127.255.255.255/96 Scope:Unknown

inet6 addr: ::127.0.0.1/96 Scope:Unknown

UP RUNNING NOARP MTU:1480 Metric:1

TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

and since it did include sit0, I added alias net-pf-10 off to /etc/modprobe.conf, rebooted and there was no change.

My network card is a Intel 21041-Based PCI Ethernet Adapter (Generic), in Windows XP. For some reason, it's recognized by Linux as DEC DecChip 21041-PB Tulip Plus Ethernet Adapter. And this PC has an onboard ethernet,

Intel 82801DB ICH4 - LAN Controller with 82562ET/EZ (CNR) PHY [A-1], which in XP I was able to disable in Device Manager, I don't know how or if it needs to be disabled in Linux. Before I had to reinstall the first time, that was not a problem.

Thank you very much,

rumple

From what I can see, it seems you don't have an IP address for the machine.

Suggest going into HardDrake, click network card that is connected to network and choose Run Config, and then configure the IP address details again.

From what I can see, it seems you don't have an IP address for the machine.

Suggest going into HardDrake, click network card that is connected to network and choose Run Config, and then configure the IP address details again.

I did that right after I ran ifconfig -a and added alias net-pf-10 off. But I did fail to mention, it seems not to be finding the DHCP, after I manuall entered my IP, MASK, GATEWAY, it was seeing a static connection.

Does it work OK with static?

What is the contents of you /etc/resolv.conf?

static doesn't work either, here is the output of /etc/resolv.conf:

search columbus.rr.com local

# search columbus.rr.com

nameserver 127.0.0.1

nameserver 65.24.7.3

# ppp temp entry

I'm assuming an update couldn't of caused somekind of conflict?

thank you for the help

First, I'd be tempted to put a # in front of that search line.

Next, I'd make sure your ISP's DNS Server entries are listed in the file. You seem to have your localhost 127.0.0.1 which shouldn't be there. Place a # in front of it, and make sure your ISP's DNS Servers are there.

First, I'd be tempted to put a # in front of that search line.

Next, I'd make sure your ISP's DNS Server entries are listed in the file.  You seem to have your localhost 127.0.0.1 which shouldn't be there.  Place a # in front of it, and make sure your ISP's DNS Servers are there.

ianw1974, I'm not quite sure what you meant for me to do within that file from above.

Also, I noticed anytime I entered my IP etc. manually and set it to DHCP it was not saving that information I just entered, but it would when I set it to static. The connection doesn't work either way. Also 127.0.0.1 is one of my ISPs DNS servers.

Thank you yet again :)

127.0.0.1 is a loopback device, which points back to the machine your logged into.

It shouldn't be used as a DNS entry, unless you are running a DNS Server on this machine.

Check /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts and look for an eth0 or eth1 file, and see if it has any IP information in it.

127.0.0.1 is a loopback device, which points back to the machine your logged into.

It shouldn't be used as a DNS entry, unless you are running a DNS Server on this machine.

Check /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts and look for an eth0 or eth1 file, and see if it has any IP information in it.

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts, showed that eth0 is the one being used because it contained the IP address. So then I went into /etc/resolv.conf and put a # where you suggested. When I did that, I went in to MCC to verify, that IP was removed but so was the domain name. So when I recreated the connection again to reveal the domain name, I went back to /etc/resolv.conf and the # I added were gone. So I redid the whole thing, rebooted and the # were removed again.

I'm assuming I'm not doing something right here. I hate to keep nagging you with this problem, I'm writing all this down and always have, so I felt I was learning more.

Thank you

When you configure, make sure search domain is blank when you go through mcc.  That's why it keeps getting put back

ok,

I re-configured and manually entered my IP, mask, Gateway and DNS leaving search domain blank. I then edited /etc/resolv.conf as you had me do before. I then rebooted and still nothing. Is there anything else I can do, you have been so helpful.

thank you very much

Usually you shouldn't need to edit resolv.conf after, as you added the DNS settings through MCC. It's a bit odd why it keeps losing the settings. I'm not sure why, maybe someone can shed some light.

Usually you shouldn't need to edit resolv.conf after, as you added the DNS settings through MCC.  It's a bit odd why it keeps losing the settings.  I'm not sure why, maybe someone can shed some light.

Not a problemn, I think I made the decision that I was going to anyway and that is going to try out FC4.

Thank you for all your help though, really

rumple