I Absolutely Love Mandriva 2006

yogibear

The people at Mandriva get a pat on the back from me. This is my third install using Mandrake / now Mandriva; and I already LOVE it. The installation was so easy, and problems that I had with my system that forced me to cling on (quite reluctantly) to Windows, are now resolved without any effort on my part. My internet connection was automatically recognized, configured, and up and running at installation. The problem I have had with Flash audio not working on my system is now working wonderfully !

I love this distro.

Thank you Mandriva

moved from Installing Mandriva by mystified

Yes indeed, there is a lot to like.

I have done both a new install of 2006 and an in-place update from LE2005 to 2006 and both went very well, so I echo your sentiments.

BTW, do all your USB devices work ok? Several people have reported problems with some USB devices. For example, both AussieJohn and myself (and other posters as well, here and elsewhere) have mentioned problems with USB scanners not being detected.

Yes, I had USB problems too. Haven't tried official release though (only rc2).

--------

I have a very important question (for me) about MDV2006,

has the glitch with NTFS partition been fixed?!

namely - when shutdown was screwed up if there was an NTFS partition on hd.

Not really, I need to use Bauhaus Mirage for 2D animation and no software on Linux can do what that little beast can.

Running through VMware is too slow.

Of course a seperate machine for my animation needs would be wonderful,

but I'm pretty broke at the moment.

I have 2006 installed on two different computers each dual-booting between Windows XP and Linux and have had no shutdown problems either with RC2 or 2006 final release.

One has an ASUS k7S8X mb and Athlon 1900, the the other has an IWill KK266plus mb and an Athlon 1300, and each with 2 Maxtor IDE hds. No shutdown problems whatsoever.

EDIT: Haven't installed 2006 yet on a different computer that has only SATA drives.

Edited by jboy

Yes, I had USB problems too. Haven't tried official release though (only rc2).

--------

I haven't had the time to do more than get up and running yet, plus the only usb device I have presently is my scanner (which I'll try later).

I haven't experienced any problem with NTFS partitions as yet......... I'm able to read and access all the directories and files that are on my windows side of the computer.

I am having a bit of a problem with my new Canon Pixma i4000 printer however.......but I figure it's me that hasn't figured out how to correctly configure it yet, and not a problem with Mandriva. When I try to print a page, it prints at 1/4th the size of a standard letter page, up in the upper left corner of the page.

The sanity check on windows can be bypassed- the NTFS partition is NOT really screwed.

The bug was never fixed *officially* on 2.6.12.X, and since Mandy still uses 2.6.12.X and the only known available patch was never used to any major distro, as it was rather "suspect", I guess that annoyance still applies.

Of course you can compile your own 2.6.13 or 2.6.14, which don't have the "oops" problem at system shutdown- although windows may complain with 2.6.13 infrequently (maybe one time out of ten bootups).

Ah, yes: and Canon Pixma printers aren't *directly* supported by CUPS, mainly because Canon does not care for Linux support.

But you can use Turboprint instead as a CUPS backend. I have a Pixma iP 5000 printer which works great with Turboprint- even the direct CD-R prinitng, provided that you will spare some time to make your own templates for printing. This is the good thing, the bad thing is that Turboprint is commercial for about 35 bucks... The demo version also works without issues or time limitations, but prints an ugly Turboprint logo in your output pages.

Edited by scarecrow

I just got Mdv 2006 Powerpack and loaded it on my back up machine. So far I haven't had any problems. I use the usb for my Lexar card reader and my HP camera. Both worked fine. Actually ;it works better than my 10.0 install. In 10.0 I had the problem that If I had Konqueror open with the usb plugged in and unplugged the usb item before shutting down Konqueror it would lock up Konqueror and/or KDE and requre a ctrl-shift backspace to reset the x. I tested it in 2006. It works better. If I open Konq first and then plug in the card reader it appears in the devices. And If I unplug it the mount icon changes and I can still close konq with no problems. Have to test some of the new features but my quick looks look good. Going to go offline now and load it on the big box. Then the laptop.

Well I've had a chance to dig into it. 2006 is my new system. It looks nice but I have some minor usability issues. I've imported my old home directory. I got most everything fine. Had to blow away KDE to get the menu to reset right. And I'm not getting Thunderbird to use my old directory. I'm going to have to set that up new and transfer my mails into it. I don't see audacity loaded. Have to see if it's included. Need some kind of sound recorder/editor for transfering songs from my tapes/records to the cd. But the big issue I have is I can't see my logon users. you can type in and logon fine but can't choose users by clicking like in kde 3.2. I've tried changing the login session manager settings but it didn't change. Any ideas?

Oh, I first did an update and it didn't go good. Maybe because I didn't test the x on update. But upon bootup after the update was done x was unusable. Even doing startx didn't work. But did a fresh install and all is working good. Now just gotta tweak my settings and get some last things in.

Wanted to add a little more. I've had a chance to really dig in and give the new install a good day's run. On the down side, I have a problem with open office saving to one of my old spreadsheets. I think it has to do with the new format. Its for my budget adn it is only run to the end of the year so I won't need it for too much longer. I had the problem with the login screen but fixed that. And it seems the 3d acceleration with my ATI Rage 128 is slower than it was in 10.0. Chromium is dog slow. And now tux racer (saved my rpm from 10.0) doesn't work.

But on the up side. (I've got powerpack) I love the choice of programs. Though I do miss mozilla (for the web page editor, going to install the rpm from 10.0 next). But all the little things like j2re, flash, acrobat and a few others are included and don't need to use my downloaded rpms. Boot time is way better. I'm glad I passed on 10.1 and 10.2. The improvements are incredible. However it seems loging out a user seems to lag. I don't have any hardware issues whatso ever. And I like the way mounted and hotplugged devices work better now. I especially like having them in the one "devices" desktop folder. And they don't lock up if something is removed early.