Does Slackware still matter?

Nice reading, thanks for the link... although everything claimed in there is IMO plain bull*.

Kanotix or Ubuntu a derivative for Slack?

The guy is either a provocator, or high on something really, really mean.

He's right that for the desktop Vector is much more convenient (although he did not mention at all Frugalware and Slax- especially the latter is the best solution for a full Slack desktop "right-out-of-the-box") but his overall claims are extremely weak to be taken seriously...

Edited by scarecrow

Slack is the only distro that you have to edit xorg?  That's funny.  If this guy thinks that about slack I'd hate to hear what he says about Gentoo.  :D

Maybe he was trying Slack 9.0 by accident! :cheesy:

Since 10.1 Slack at least *tries* to create a usable xorg configuration at the end of the installation, if you have picked xorg and some sort of desktop environment. How well this feature works is another story.

I've yet to try this also. I installed Slack at work, but it was for other purposes, server-based rather then desktop based, so X wasn't installed or anything related to a desktop environment.

Maybe one day, if I get chance to figure it out :P

As I have used Slackware now for quite a long time (10.0, 10.1, 10.2), I can only say that the guy has no idea about Slackware and the philosophy behind it. Slackware is not for everyone. It is not "flashy". It is maybe the most stable Linux-system out there (I never heard of an updated package being broken). Actually the record for the longest up-time for servers is a Slackware system, running since some nine or ten years now without a reboot. And there is a reason why it does not set up xorg by default. Some servers simply don't need it. ;) Of course, there are other distros out there that are imho better suited for a desktop system, but for extremely critical tasks, imho almost nothing beats Slack, even today.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, its too soon to tell (having installed slack 10.2 two days ago after a night of hair pulling with the laptop) but the slack look has an almost SUSE polish probably due to kde 3.4 starting to catch on with distro releases. Slack is replacing mepis which doesnt have the track record or the decent forums and support you find with say suse, mandriva, ubuntu, fedora....lots of wannabe cultists, imo. I admit , im treading gently so I dont break everything, since i wanna learn what slack can teach.

Installing things like open office and k3b were a relative snap with kpackage working with a debian like efficiency or better...the fastest OO install ive ever seen!

Yeah, the article is a bagbiter.....im impressed with slack and look forward to being more impressed the further i go with it. Using Sarge as the stable desktop linux and dual booting slack with ubuntu seems - for the moment- to satisfy my linux requirements for a) a stable home system B) an unstable cutting edge distro to trash and reinstall and c) an OS to go deeper into nix admin waters and learn how stuff works....

Hmn...those who can, do...those who can't write shitweasel reviews...heh :headbang: