Basic question:

ilia_kr

I read many topics here about differense between urpmi and apt-get;

i also heard that debian is another world in comparison to RPM based distros, so i would like to finalize all that differenses in one place.

Tell me about this two different systems from a day-to-day user's point of view: DEBIAN based vs. all others (RPM)

:thanks:

Well, both work with a little of experience. I prefer apt based distros, although I can't push ahead a terrbly convincing reason for that preference.

Of course, both lack compared to Gentoo's emerge or Arch's pacman, but most people wouldn't afford the huge compilation times needed for Gentoo, nor the spartan overall Arch Linux philosophy.

Atp vs. RPM? Quite simple. Both work. It's a draw.

I think that the preference for one of the two package manager types is mainly only relevant for those who create packages. I heard from some developers that creating working RPMs is a bit easier than creating debs, but then debs are usually higher quality. But imho it depends on the packager, not the package type. If you have a good packaging guy who knows his work, the package will work instantly, no matter if it is an rpm or deb or whatever.

What IS true is that the apt-get system works faster when syncing the information from the mirrors than most rpm package managers. But then, yum is almost as fast and there is apt-rpm and now smart...

From my experience I've never had a dependency problem with deb packages or using apt. I can remember vividly having to urpmi a file to do it to another, another, another etc until I finally urpmied the one I wanted. That is why I've gone over to debian based distros. Maybe the problem has been fixed but now that I've found a good distro no need for me to leave.