ALSA and ES1869 on board sound

camorri

I have a Compaq system. The sound hardware is on the system board, not a separate sound card. It is a ES1869. I ran alsaconf and have sound working. Here is the output from lsmod.

snd-es18xx             27084  3
snd-pcm                81800  2 snd-es18xx
snd-page-alloc          7400  1 snd-pcm
snd-opl3-lib            8448  1 snd-es18xx
snd-timer              20356  2 snd-pcm,snd-opl3-lib
snd-hwdep               6916  1 snd-opl3-lib
snd-mpu401-uart         5856  1 snd-es18xx
snd-rawmidi            19300  1 snd-mpu401-uart
snd-seq-device          6344  2 snd-opl3-lib,snd-rawmidi
snd                    45988  13 snd-es18xx,snd-pcm,snd-opl3-lib,snd-timer,snd-hwdep,snd-mpu401-uart,snd-rawmidi,snd-seq-device
soundcore               7008  1 snd

If I go to MCC --> System --> Services. I have Sound and Alsa 'x'ed to start on boot. Sound shows it is running, but Alsa shows as stopped.

I found several threads talking about this, but in each case their sound was not working, mine is working. I can play mp3's, audio streams, CD's etc. using xmms or amarok.

Modinfo tells me the 'snd' kernel module is in fact Alsa. Why does it show as 'stopped' under Servieces?

This is Mandriva 10.1 Offical with a stock kernel. I don't know enough to change the kernel yet.

I have a machine that has a similar thing with ALSA, but it's actually using OSS sound instead. The way I found out was that I went into Configure Your Desktop, Sound System, and instead of having auto-detect selected, I chose ALSA.

Sound stopped working, I then changed it to the following entry OSS and the sound was working again.

Chances are that it might actually be using OSS and not ALSA.

I believe my systemis using Alsa. If I go to start--> system--> configuration--> KDE--> sound --> sound system and look at the hardware tab, I have ALSA selected, not OSS. Modinfo shows:

/sbin/modinfo snd

filename: /lib/modules/2.6.8.1-12mdk/kernel/sound/core/snd.ko.gz

author: Jaroslav Kysela <perex@suse.cz>

description: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture driver for soundcards.

license: GPL

parm: major:Major # for sound driver.

parm: cards_limit:Count of auto-loadable soundcards.

alias: char-major-116-*

parm: device_mode:Device file permission mask for devfs.

alias: char-major-116-*

vermagic: 2.6.8.1-12mdk 686 gcc-3.4

depends: soundcore

Lsmod shows snd modules loaded, not sound, which is the OSS module.

I have been trying to understand this for some time. I think the snd module is loaded during boot (because of the modules.conf file) after the system tries to load it because of the check in MCC. I found some threads indicating Alsa will not always load, and my guess has to do with the fact my sound is on board, and is not a PCI card. It is treated as if it is a ISA card, probably through the PCI-ISA bridge hardware. This is my best guess at this point. :wall: