Stuff like PLF?

:unsure: I have wanted to try R.H. or Mephis.... but have always wondered where to get the selection of wonderfull packages that are at P.L.F. ??? do they even exist for other distro's? because IMHO. it's the PLF stuff that makes linux truly viable as a "Simple User's Windoze Replacement"

I am not talking about your poweruser.. I am talking about just someone who wants a system that works when it's supposed to and does what you need it to with minimal headache. :wall:

Would you explain what programs you are looking for? Your question is a little vague, which might be why there has not been a response to date.

Some programs are part of other distros without PLF add-ons. Mepis and SuSE both do things "out-of-the-box" that Mandriva requires some additional programs. It all depends upon the license.

Are you sure that you mean Red Hat? (very, very expensive enterprise software) In case you mean Fedora, then most things are described here: http://www.fedorafaq.org/

For Mepis, most stuff is already included and the things you might still need, can be downloaded from the debian mirrors via apt-get. Also take a look here https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=27486

Good luck :)

I was just confused by the title and since I don't use mandrake, just never looked at the post tell now :)

As it has already been stated, all the distro's out there for the most part will have 3rd party repositorys that will include most packages you need.

Indeed, most distros have unofficial third party repos where you can get the non-GPL stuff... the quality of the packaging varies from moderate to plain bad.

There are also distros where the non-GPL stuff comes right out of the box (e.g. Frugalware, PCLinuxOS, or my favorite Arch Linux).