nvidia controller | ethernet [solved]

Reiver_Fluffi

Hey there guys,

Have problems with a tempremental internet connection and I'm sorry to say that the only problems I have are with Mandriva. I have two onboard ethernet ports, an nvidia ethernet controller (eth0) and a marvel yukon ethernet controller(eth1), along with the firewire port (eth2). I have been using the Marvell Yukon up until now, but as a need of the other OS's I have on the box I switched to the nvidia controller. This works fine with Win XP and Ubuntu, not a hitch in sight, however with Mandy I have encountered some problems.

The verbose output upon boot shows that the systems hangs when trying to bring up eth0, and eventually returns with a failure message stating that Mandriva is unable to obtain the IP address from the device (point to note, my ISP uses DHCP). When I log into my user account, the network applet icon states that my network conection is down, I then have to right click and select conect eth0, which sometimes is a random event in itself sometimes it brings the network up instantly, sometimes it takes half a minute, some times it refuses to work, and sometimes it takes about 5 attempts!

Any suggestions as to:

1. What the problem may be?
  2. What logs/config files would be of use to me?
  3. Is the nforce 1.0-0306 driver installed in the powerpack along with the 7676 graphics driver? If not will it help?
  4. I know for sure that the nvidia controllers use the forcedeth, are there any noted problems as of late?

My other (relevant?) hardware specs are:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-K8NS Ultra-939

CPU: AMD64 Athlon 3200+

Ram: 2 x 512Mb DDR 400 (Dual chanelled)

Oh and lisa had been disabled!

Cheers

Edited by Reiver_Fluffi

Don't know if it will help, but I know of some ethernet problems with ipv6 enabled.

Try disabling ipv6 by adding:

alias net-pf-10 off

to /etc/modprobe.conf

to find out if ipv6 is enabled before doing it, type ifconfig -a and if you see a sit0 device, it's enabled. Also, you'll see an inet6 entry under the ethernet device eth0 or eth1 or both.

Also, visit http://www.nvidia.com

they have nforce drivers for nforce 1/2/3 which are likely to help if you've not already added these.

For 32 bit:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_nforce_1.0-0306.html

For AMD 64 bit:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_nforce_...4_1.0-0306.html

Dude,

Post the results of "lspcidrake -v|grep ETHERNET"

see whether your nVidia ethernet is listed along with your Marvel ethernet. I've been using nVidia ethernet with stock drivers and I've never used the nvidia drivers. My nForce2 MB has 3com as well as nVidia ethernet.

:)

Don't know if it will help, but I know of some ethernet problems with ipv6 enabled.

Try disabling ipv6 by adding:

alias net-pf-10 off

to /etc/modprobe.conf

to find out if ipv6 is enabled before doing it, type ifconfig -a and if you see a sit0 device, it's enabled.  Also, you'll see an inet6 entry under the ethernet device eth0 or eth1 or both.

Well this certainly done something, the boot process hangs for about 2 mins upon trying to bring up eth0, and subsequently fails (as before) however net_applet is able to conect eth0 almost instantly and with usually first time round.

Dude,

Post the results of "lspcidrake -v|grep ETHERNET"

see whether your nVidia ethernet is listed along with your Marvel ethernet. I've been using nVidia ethernet with stock drivers and I've never used the nvidia drivers. My nForce2 MB has 3com as well as nVidia ethernet.

:)

Nothin on the exact command you quoted, however "lspcidrake -v|grep Ethernet" returns:

forcedeth       : nVidia Corp.|Ethernet adapter [BRIDGE_OTHER] (vendor:10de device:00df subv:1458 subd:e000)

To all

Any of you guys shed some light as to what logs are created by the boot process, might have a look and compare with what ubuntu is doing (it works every time with no intervention).

Cheers guys!

I would advise (as I also have a Marvel Yukon eth controller on my laptop) compiling and installing the latest driver (signed 25th October) from their site. At first it liked to register as eth1 rather than eth0 (or at least that was the output of their suggested "ls /proc/net/sk98lin/" method), but after a reboot it decided that the mainstream eth0 is the right place to register the driver...

All the above happened on my "obligatory" Arch Linux 0.7.1 installation, dunno what is going on with Ubuntu or any other Linux distro- none of them is of much interest anymore...

Edited by scarecrow

Yuk, this keeps getting messier by the minute.

Networking is still playing up despite removing IPv6, still a lottery, however I have discovered that if I change a network setting through MCC, and either try to connect then, or even if I revert the settings back and then connect, i can get connected no problem! Sounds like a file somewhere is getting mashed.....eek!

As for nvnet, well I installed the module no problem there, however when I try to set up the interface using the MCC and select nvnet manually the readme file suggests using autoprobe, well that's a no go as when I click on it I am whizzed back to the screen showing the devices and drivers....eek again.

While the readme gives the parameters for setting up nvnet manually, too many variables I know nothing about.. arrrrrgggghhhhhhh!

:help:

Guest zool2005

Thank you for that snippet of info, adding forcedeth to /etc/modprobe.preload solved my problem too.

I had a problem connecting to the net through my router on eth0. I could connect using "ifup eth0" when fully booted but when booting I would get "determining IP eth0....failed"

I was sure there was a driver or something misisng somewhere but only 2 days of trawling through the net led me to the answer

Thank you

:thanks: