playing aac and m4a files with amarok [solved]

polemicz

My 16 year old son is leaving Windows behind and is now mainly using 2006. He has, however, a lot of music from cd's he has ripped with iTunes as aac files. I am able to set up xmms, via plf plug-ins to play them, but not Amarok, which he prefers. Is it possible to do this and if so how. Thanks in advance.

Edited by polemicz

Is the problem with adding them to a library or playing them? Make sure it cannot play first, that will help isolate the problem.

If it will not add them to the media library, make sure their is a .aac extension at the end of each one (I had a problem with it not recognizing ogg files until I did that).

You need faad installed (an aac decoder) and use an engine that use faad. (I'm sure there is a gstream plugin but try arts and xine too). As for the files not showing that's a problem because amarok can not read the tag information. You need to browse to the files (in amarok, with the file browser) and play them from there.

Have faad installed (gstreamer). I checked his machine and the files he is talking about are m4a. Not sure what that is, but I know nothing about these audio files.

I checked my son's computer again and found that the amarok-arts engine is installed. Should I remove that and install xine or gstreamer? Is one of these preferable?

Edited by polemicz

Update and clarification: I got on my son's computer and the files he can't play are m4a. I notice on plf that there is faad and faad2 (I think, although I am totally unsure as these formats are unclear to me, that faad2 is for m4a and faad only handles aac). There is a gstreamer-faac and gstreamer-faad, but no gstreamer-faad2. xmms does have a faad2 plug-in. So I am getting the idea that s of now there may be no way to play m4a's with Amarok. Is this correct? If not how do I proceed? Again he is using the arts engine. Thanks again.