xmms and X-server

Guest immortality

Guest immortality

For some reason xmms is causing the X-server to use a large amount of CPU load, the increase of cpu load thus causes a large amount of heat, which causes the laptop to shutdown. According to "top" when I am using xmms, X-server uses 17-25% cpu and the temperature goes up by 5 C.

This also happens in videos too, but that makes more sense as it requires more raw cpu power, but VLC player nearly causes X-server to go up to 90% and my laptop can't handle the video for more than 15 minutes.

I am running powernowd and I have the proc underclocked to 350 mhZ on idle, and usually it runs a 1.4 ghZ when running xmms or vlc-player.

This problem has been going on for about a month and I am just bewildered.

I am currently running:

XFCE desktop (latest)

Mandrake 10.1

Pentium 4 - 2.8 GHz

idle temp: 75 C

temp with xmms: 86-90 C

temp with video: 90-95 C (laptop shutsdown in 20-30 minutes)

many thx :}

Ok temp wise you are using more of the chip.

Remember the P4 comes with a huge MM instriction set

My GF had a similar problem (but with power not temp) whenever she used lame or any other codec to rip a mp3.

Luckily she had a desktop so we swapped out the chip rather cheaply.

You can try and

1) check you have the optimised MM stuff for P4 perhaps consider downloading the src rpm and compile it with P4 instructions or check plf for a optimsed one (sorry I use Debian now so I can't be more specific)

2) Check your video driver, what card do you have? Consider checking you have the manufactuerers closed source one even ... I don't like using them but they have access to parts of the hardware the opensource ones don't.

if you can hit non-processor hardware as ^^^ mentions then this could defintely help. if you've got an nvidia card in that laptop, you'll be pleased by the nvidia drivers. i don't knwo about ati.

an i686 optimized kernel might be a great idea. or even one that you build for your laptop.

in other words, basically what gowator said.

Edited by JonEberger

• 2 weeks later...
Guest immortality

i added a new line to etc/X11/xorg.conf it has helped somewhat in decrease CPU usuage in xMMs but movie players kill the system, i havent downloaded the nvidia drivers because they require the 2.6 sources and i would have to install the 2.6 kernel as they havent released sources for the 2.8 kernels....ill probably try that when i i get off school....the i686 optimized kernel...can u post info about that to what it exactly does ?

Edited by immortality

Guest immortality

this is what i added to /etc/X11/xorg.conf:

" in /etc/xorg.conf, under Section "Device" (for your craphic card) try add lines Option "backingstore" and Option "save-unders" "On" "