Thac and Zé's KDE 3.5 beta rpms, bugs and problems

devries

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

about the timeouts in download, i would very much recomend using the anorien mirror it has alot better bandwidth.

about the kdm problem if you folllow the install instructions on http://www.mde.djura.org/kde2006.0.html

it should be ok

the trick is the same as with last kde upgrade

or you can do as mandriva officially says is best uninstall kde and then install, but it is not needed easier and faster to do as in weppage.

and about the arts bug there is a serious bug in 2006 gcc making kde built with this gcc have trouble.

see here http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=111115

i have taled to the kde devlopers about this and got a workaround that should solve the arts problems

i have only tested with noatun yet and that is fixed.

the new rpms is available now.

remeber the anorien mirror is synced each 15min so it is a little delay for changes.

Edited by thac

Hi thac.

It just so happens that I have always preferred the anorien website for at least nearly 12mths now. Every other time I have had rare download problems it was usually other sites.

Good to know I was using the best one. :D :thumbs:

Interestingly enough I used that kde-kdm-config routine you outlined but this time still got the same original problem. I have only 400mb download limit till the end of the month (3days away)so I'll wait till Tues 1st Nov before trying again. No doubt you will be further advanced again in that time.

Hi devries. I only missed the package initially because I left the procedure run unattended.

Running the install the second time I learned what can and obviously does happen so was able to take care of the problems as they came to light. Lesson :- Auto is good and convenient but not necessarily perfect. :D

Cheers to you both.

John.

I installed the latest packages. The arts problem is still there. Biggest new problem is that the plastik style has disappeared :).

And msn/kopete no longer connects.

That is a msn kde kopete known problem, is already was fixed but seamns they some way activated it again.

about plastik style all is working fine, only happens some themes disappears like for example plastik when your not using qt3 on wich kde was build, so please the rpms you have installed.

cheers

Installed latest qt and I have Plastik again. :) But I still have problems with arts. With latest packages installed I can't start arts from kcontrol. If I start it from a console I got an error: ln /home/my name/.kde/kde-socket points to /tmp/kde-socket instead of /home/my name/kde-socket. If I remove that folder it starts from a console without errors and I can play a game of kolf with sound. However system notifications don't work. The amarok arts engine still doesn't work. Another thing I noticed is that the keymappings don't seem to match. I have a logitech intenet navigator but I have to select a logitech cordless desktop pro for my multimedia keys to work. :)

edit: after some playing around, don't know what I did, arts starts from kcontrol again and I've got system notifications back.

Queston: Do you know how systemnotificaion can be played through gstreamer: I found the command gst-launch filesrc location=xxx.mp3 ! spider ! alsasink but obviously when I puth that in the playerselection window of knotify it doesn't work. :)

edit2: problem: the svg preview in the wallpaper selector doesn't show the whole picture but only a part (doesn't autofit the wallpaper in the preview window.)

edit3: QT problem. pyqt no longer 'works' after installing latest qt packages so it not possible to edit superkaramba themes like liquidweather and aero ai that depend on it.

Found the problem why arts wouldn't start: t's the realtime option. With realtime priority enabled arts won't start.

I would like to remember that some bugs are kde specific and only who knows well the kde source code like kde developers, are the ones who better can solve it, and in time they will solve things.

For the rest me and thac will do our best to fix things.

Now i would like to announce that there are new rpms in the usual place like for example kdemultimedia, kdesdk, kdebase that have some bugs fixed like for example the kicker panel clock.

cheers,

Installed latest kdemultimedia packages and now arts crashes when playing testing sound (and with system notifications) :)

Ah well with the pace you guys bring out new packages it will be solved in the next few days. In contrast to Aussiejohn I have no download limit so nothing to worry about. :D

Thanks for your sympathy, devries. :lol2::lol2:

Actually my download is unlimited but after 10Gbs it drops to normal dialup speed.

So past that point becomes a real drag. I have been downloading so much via urpmi this present month that I am now just 120Mbs short off the 10Gbs mark but in 21hrs time I will be good to go flat out again. :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

I think my Telstra Bigpond ADSL is extremely good value and has been fantastically reliable so I am not complaining.

Like yourself, I too am staggered by how fast these men are moving. To them....... :beer::beer::thanks::thanks:

Cheers. John.

I can remeber the days that my HDs where less then 10Gb. Now with Akregator and BitTorrent I'm downloading that every week or so :) Combine that with the donloads for KDE 3.5 and I'm amazed my neighbours don't complain (I'm on cable) :D

Anyway my report after the latest updates: arts works again (though not with realtime priority). Konqueror crashes on some sites (hotmail for example), the pyqt problem is still there (so you can't edit superkaramba themes), the start menu is messed up (probably has to do wth the new package names), the panel config tool is empty (probably because the KDE team is adding config options that are missing). Kontact crashes sometimes

I always had that option checked in kcontrol and used the Mandriva stock kernel. Never had problems with it (perhaps it didn't do anything but arts would still start). Anyway, I guess this is the normal situation and I've got to keep realtime priority unchecked. I used arts a lot when alsa didn't come with dmix enabled as default but nowadays it isn't really neccesary. Right now I use arts is only for the kde system notifications.