Thac and Zé's KDE 3.5 beta rpms, bugs and problems

devries

The white line reads "Because Micro$oft is for Capitalists Running DOS."

The black line reads "This wallpaper is released under the Glorious Peoples License (GPL) by comrade Zapato."

:lol2::lol2::lol2:

I especially love the GPL bit. :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yesterday I tried installing 3.5.1 everything seemed fine, I logged out and then saw the nice looking new log in screen with the clock but it was impossible to login, I just got a black screen and then it reverted to the login screen, this happened for all users.

Any ideas what happened? Anyway I reinstalled from scratch but I would like to try again and also know a way to go back to 3.4.2 from the failsafe mode because that still worked but I had no idea what to do...

:help:

Edited by ffi

Do you have an nvidia card and use the nvidia driver? Then you need to install the driver again. If you install KDE from mde a new vxorg version gets installed so you have to reinstall the nvidia driver.

Yes, so I would just reinstall the driver as usual (ie. from failsafe sh nvidia-blabla.run)? and thing would work again?

If it won´t work, is their anyway to go back to KDE 3.4.2

Can you boot into another WM? Type: startx icewm (or if it´s not installed first: urpmi icewm :) ) If you get the blackscreen, it means the nvidia driver isn´t installed cirrectly. Edit /etc/xorg.conf and change the driver to nv and try again. That should be it.

Can you boot into another WM? Type: startx icewm  If you get the blackscreen, it means the nvidia driver isn´t installed cirrectly. Edit /etc/xorg.conf and change the driver to nv and try again. That should be it.

I do get the black screen, it tried looking in etc/ for the file xorg.conf but there wasn't any such file :s

(or if it´s not installed first: urpmi icewm :) )

I have a feeling my ethernet isn't up either in failsafe, it says it's unable to resolve the host

Mmm I didn't say urpmi nvidia :). Go back to failsafe mode, type init 3, login as root and type: vi /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Look for a line in the "section device" that says driver = "nvidia". Hit 'i' (for insert) and change that line to driver = "nv", hit 'esc' (to leave insert mode) and type ':x' (without the ''), type: urpmi icewm, logout as root (by typing exit), login as your normal user and type: startx icewm. Open the Mandriva Control Center (mcc) and search for kde packages to install. Logout from icewm (start logout) and type: startx startkde. You now should be back into kde

Good luck.