• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

* The srpms are not available.

They will be in a little while

Question for Thac: do depend those rpm's again on PLF and contrib?

yes

And do they depend on a different xorg version than the version that comes with MDV 2006?

yes

Edited by thac

First problems: artsdsp doesn't work (for example artsdsp opera gives 'artsdsp works only for binaries'

Kicker: transparency doesn't work (it only works if you edit the kickerrc by hand. same goes for hide/vie applet handles)

I would like to clarify some aspects, in first place remember this is still -kde-3.5.0 beta, so its to expect that some bugs will appear, like for example kicker log out crashes still arent all fixed, remains one to be fixed, arts still crashes some times, and other apps bugs, but these are minor bugs, they dont stop you from using this goog kde-3.5.0, so you see these are all kde specific bugs that are going being resolved by who knows well the kde source code, kde developers.

In what i can, i will resolve things, for example i have just made a new kdelibs and kdebase that have a new kdm, a konq fix, and other kicker fix, go check in our site.

As Thac told i have been using this kde for more then one month, since it was released in branch_3.5, and just now i decided to realease it, since now i see that is more stable.

If i had released some time ago than you would have many complaines...

I gave kde3.5 a pretty good try on my Mandriva2006-Official. It looked really good, but sound notification, namely arts would not work no matter what I tried. The biggest problem was a steady stream of crash error messages related to kded about every 20 to 30 seconds.

The next problem was a repeat of the early kdm debacle when kde 3.4 was first released. I had to do the same workarounds of installing gdm to use instead of kdm.

When I originally did the 3.5 install (done in init 3), I didn't get the crash messages but by doing a systematic check I found that kdebase-common was not installed. Went into MCC and selected the package and ran the install. It seemed to run mormally but a check revealed that it had not been installed. Tried 5 times, no success. Tried from from a console but still no success.

Took the bull by the horns and did an uninstall of 3.5 and then a reinstall, all from the cli.

This time I watched the entire procedure and discovered that the install passed by 22 packages it had problems with. I kicked the install into motion again and this time 10 packages were bypassed so kicked the install this 3rd time and all packages were finally completed. Had not rebooted but everything seemed to work AOK. Decided to reboot and after getting past the login problem with the usual workaround, then the crash messages started. All referred to kded. Kat was never included in the install so it had nothing to do with it as others have experienced.

I tolerated the crash problem for about 2 days and tried to find what caused it but have now entirely deleted kde3.5 and reinstalled kde3.4. Going back to 3.4 was quite an experience because the system refused to go back to and install older dated software packages initially. So I had to work out a way to get around that problem and to my great pleasure and surprise, I succedded.

I feel a little pleased with myself for having learnt a lot more about the system workings which are becoming much less a mystery to me.

I will still be following kde3.5, it really is nice.

Cheers Thac and collegues. John.