Thac and Zé's KDE 3.5 beta rpms, bugs and problems

devries

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Finally new kdelibs and kdebase with new fixes.

Remember that now there is a new packaging policy that includes a wrapper that can enable the user to instal all kde module packages, yet you can still install the packages you want, for that just dont select/install the suite package.

Where I can find KDE3.5 urpmi sources for Mandriva 2006 X86_64 architecture? I just installed Mandriva 2006 x86_64 without KDE and I wanna try the new KDE.

Where I can find KDE3.5 urpmi sources for Mandriva 2006 X86_64 architecture? I just installed Mandriva 2006 x86_64 without KDE and I wanna try the new KDE.

We have only made kde for arch x86_64 for mandrake10.1 and i dont know if we are going to do it again.

About sources we havent so far put them public due to some reasons but we are thinking put them available in some days.

So far your best (?) chance is getting the source RPM packages from a Cooker repository (as they are architecture-independent), and rebuild them with "rpmbuild --rebuild kde*.src.rpm" as root.

Of course it will take a lot of time, you must first install many devel packages, and success is not for granted.

Some remarks:

I just made an installation of Thac's 3.5.0 over a vanilla, no-X 2006 installation on my laptop. It works failry well, but a few regressions:

1. The synthesis.hdlist.cz index is not up-to-date... e.g. the package for kdeaddons is not listed, and reported missing. I wgetted it, force-installed it, and then I could install kdeaddons as a whole. Dunno what happens with the long, hdlist.cz index, but personally I do not need downloading the long one for some rather useless info when installing via GUI.

2. Since Thac's xorg is a dependency, I also installed that one, and added dkms-nvidia in a proper way (... I think). The nvidia driver does work, but when doing alt+F2 and "nvidia-settings" I only get a very basic configuration UI (lots of settings missing), not the "real thing" which comes up when installing the stock nvidia installer.

I also noticed that dkms-nvidia is currently at PLF too (factly, I had to disable PLF as a source before installing Thac's nvidia-dkms, as urpmi detected nvidia-xorg from PLF as a dependency, not the one from Thac, although that repo had first priority).

Other than that, no complaints (put aside that the default KDE theme is VERY ugly).

Edited by scarecrow

Install problems: can t install kdeaddons because libkdeaddons1 is missing and can not install kdegraphics, kdetoys and kdeutils because selecting the packages makes urpmi not work (the installer just hangs, same when installing from a console)

small bug in few latest builds: main channel select in kmix doesn t work. It is stuck on Master Mono and I want it on Master so I can use my multimedia keys :)

Install problems: can t install kdeaddons because libkdeaddons1 is missing and can not install kdegraphics, kdetoys and kdeutils because selecting the packages makes urpmi not work (the installer just hangs, same when installing from a console)

small bug in few latest builds: main channel select in kmix doesn t work. It is stuck on Master Mono and I want it on Master so I can use my multimedia keys :)

My apologies, i thought i had upload it but i see that for some reason i forgot :)

Is there a problem with xorg and ATI Radeon drivers?

I just cant get your xorg based on cvs-20051127 to work with my radeon. :cry:

Edited by wardevil