KDE 3.5 for 2006.0 by Thac & Zé

thac

Our kde-3.5.0 for mandriva 2006.0 relaesed now

This time didnt we release until we had fixed the worst bugs, to get a so stable version as possible at release.

Avtually we have had kde-3.5 running for over a month now.

Anyway the upgrade instruction is the same as for the last kde version upgrade we did.

The new kde-3.5 is available here

The new kde-3.5 is also available here

Have fun

Thac & Zé

This is a thread for making anouncements about KDE 3.5 build by Thac and Zé. Here you can post your appreciation for their work and make suggestions. If you have questions about KDE in general, about installing KDE or if you have problems, post them in the apropriate forums.

Post all problems and bugs in this topic: Thac and Zé's KDE 3.5 beta rpms, bugs and problems

I installed it and I must say it looks quite nice. The new plastik look is something I must get used too (let's hope they'll include a plastik classic). The installation went painless. The new tippoints (I hope they are called that :) ) look good. The superkaramba integrations works fine. Some of the wizards (setting up the anti spam for example) have gotten a new look.

I'll post more information later after I've player with it some more. :)

edit:

p.png

Metabar doesn't look halve bad (though the default theme sucks). The controls for the audioplayer are missing but the kmplayer integration is very good. Now we only need a theme that looks great.

One real improvement in kde 3.5 is the drawing of windows with composite ´on´. For example if you scrolled trhough pictures with kuickshow in 3.4 if the pictures changed size you would be left with black residue on your screen. In kde 3.5 the window drawing works perfect :)

Another thing about kde 3.5: the opengl screensavers no longer make X crash. Everytime in kde 3.4 I tried to use opengl screensavers it would crash X after some time. I've been using 3.5 for a week now and still not one crash. So if you like the fireworks screensaver it it time to upgrade :)

I am all ready to start on my laptop, but I want to be sure it is usable. Perhaps I should wait until the 2006 iso's are available. My Mandriva is rc2 upgraded to the official (which worked marvelously)

Yeah, if I get into trouble, I would not have an easy recovery. Or, I could run a complete back up of my linux partitions and then start playing! Now that sounds like fun. :headbang:

Since we released kde-3.5.0-pre for sure you (the users) notested some packages named differently, and now i would to say that the rest of the others are going to be done (think all already done) following the same packaging pollicy.

So far we followed the mandrivas kde names but we have seen too much things not making any sense (since names to requires), so once for all we decided to do all kde modules with the same packaging policy.

I also have just released new kdelibs, kdebase, kdesdk, kdemultimedia, and i hope to release the rest still today.

greets,

To announce that today the mirros will be with no kde rpm files because we are building kde-3.5.0-1.pre and also because the last packages had some conflicts.

These conflicts were caused by the last rpms, because they were changed to that way all kde rpms have the same packaging policy and there were some problems to resolve, we are only humans :)

We ask for your patience, but probably tomorrow the new kde will be released.

greetings,