2005 LE Install, "errors installing package"

tamathumper

In addition to the NetServer I posted about earlier, I'm trying to install 2005 LE on a server built around an Intel 440GX+ mobo, two Pentium II 450's, and 512MB of RAM.

The installation boot screen comes up, and generally no matter what I type it flicks to black and never comes back, but trial and error got me to "linux noscsi" and that seems to work past that point. Typing "text" did get me to an immediate "CRC error" and "System Halted" message, so I didn't try that more than once (OK maybe twice.)

So the "noscsi" gets me going for a ways. Then I have to choose the server roles and the installation tries to install many packages, including the SMP kernel, gimp, coreutils, etc. etc. etc. But the vast majority (if not all) of the packages come back with a "There was an error installing the package. Proceed anyway?" message, and the installation is basically junk.

I checked one of the consoles and there were a ton of what looked like invalid checksum errors, like MD5's or something like that.

I would guess that one of your installation CD's has been corrupted? Can you burn some new ones?

I will do that today, after checksumming them, and I will burn them at the slowest speed possible based on advice from other postings.

They had all checked out OK, and they all copied to the hard disk when I selected that during setup, but I guess that doesn't mean much.

Thank you for your response!

Another thing is the disks themselves. I burnt a Debian DVD and it wouldn't work because the disks were crap cheap ones. Either they would fail through burning partially, or they would complete and give media errors like you're experiencing.

I bought TDK DVD's next, as recommended by AussieJohn in a post I read, and I burnt the Debian DVD's and all works fine.

If you have cheap disks, it's not always the best option. TDK are really good, I always used them for CD's, but for some reason I decided to go with cheap disks and now after throwing away about 10 disks, I won't do it again.

No, shouldn't be. A burn is a burn. MD5 checksums, media errors, burning speed can all affect it. Seen too many posts about them :P

Try burning slower than your previous burn speed to see if that helps. Sony disks should be OK, they are branded. Mine weren't branded, hence my problem! You never know what you're getting :P

I had the same problem - Installing on an old pc, I got random package install errors (random in that when i restarted the install, the error showed up at a different package). The kernel log (ctrl+alt+F4) during install showed ide time-outs and ide crc errors

It turned out to be an ide controller problem.

try these things:

1. reset bios to defaults (not performance defaults)

2. different ide cables / combination of drives on each ide cable

3. different hdd

4. different mobo.

blah.

DimmO

for the first time ever the other day i burned a linux iso to disc at full burner speed and it turned out right. i would say that is more of a rarity than the norm. good discs, good images, slow burn. that's where i'd look first. if your hardware works well, then you should be set.

One of the things that I notice when some people are burning discs with K3B is that they do not routinely put a tick (usa=check) in the Check Written Data part in the Burn dialogue.

It is the first thing I do. Some of the discs only very ocassionally give a failed match but I can use them keeping in mind that something on the disc is corrupted if I have problems later. In other words no sudden unexpected surprises.

Cheers. John.