Ubuntu...?

Well, I've installed FC5 on the lappy. First impressions are: very nice, very slick-looking, good on package management, two users installed no problem, and a lovely root account. This does come at a price, though, as it's definitely a lot more resource heavy than 2006 was and certainly than Ubuntu was when I tried that, to the extent that I can't run KDE and even Gnome is having trouble when multiple apps are open. Acpi was disabled at installation for some reason, and I had to edit grub.conf to get it.

Now I'm going to try ndiswrapper... :o

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you disable SELinux? It's crucial that you do.

it's a security layer that eats much resources, but is not really needed if you are not running a server or work with gov. secrets, etc.

You can disable it in ADMINISTRATION -> SECURITY

Also, run SERVICES from SYSTEM menu and disable the ones you don't need.

FC5 is designed both for desktop and server, so you might not need the server parts running.

p.s. For package management I advise you install YUMEX,

just type as root: yum install yumex

p.p.s. what specs do you have for your laptop?

edit: for laptops KANOTIX is a very nice debian based distro

Edited by solarian

Do you know about the kubuntu developer problems AI? There's a kubuntu developer on the Gentoo forums and from what he says they might drop kubuntu if they can't get support.

Sorry, I havn't reply before. Been awhile since I've been on the Other Linux and Unix Distributions forum.

I'm not much into Kubuntu only what moves in Ubuntu (gnome), but I've heard a bird singing about the problem. Nevertheless I also heard (still rumour) that the Mepis work on KDE will go back to kubuntu so Mepis is based on Ubuntu-base and the the KDE polishing from Mepis will go back to Kubuntu. And everything then goes back again to Debian B)

Why? Well, because Ubuntu already forked Debian, so Mepis does not have to include/tweak some packages again. They will thus save some developing time, using a Debian fork (that is incompatible with Debian) in order to release a "better" Mepis that will be forked by Kubuntu again. That's idiotic imho. They should abandon Kubuntu, it sounds silly anyway. Koohbontooo... Reminds me of mad cows. :P

Mysti, despite the anti-ubuntu crowd lead by a bunch of .rpm based users which seems to roaming these part of the forum, I think you should give it a try. Yes, it's diffrent and yes it use sudo. It have its strengthness and weakness as su also have compared to sudo. Deb based distros is diffrent from .rpm based distros as to other distros.

scarecrow:

It have the best hardware detection system out there, even better than Mandriva. A Mess? I don't think so, if it was the case even Mepis and (k)ubuntu would not be so popular.

Arctic:

No it's brilliant. Mepis gets a stable foundation to build upon compared to debain testing which are a moving target with everchanging packages which made it difficult for Mepis to get a stable OS without breaking now and then. So when Mepis is based on ubuntu-base they have time to polish KDE and its own special applications. These packages will go back to ubuntu which (despite what other says is still a gnome centric distro) will benefit from Mepis as mepis benefit from ubuntu-base.

Then all the polishing and bug killing packages will go back to Debian where they can choose to use or not.

That's team work in a big scale :)

Now we only need Gowator in this thread to call all the ubuntu-users for idiots then the circle is complete....

Edited by Artificial Intelligence

http://mako.cc/writing/to_fork_or_not_to_fork.html

Edit: also a note that the ubuntu developers are also Debian developers. Mark have started to develop for Debian in his sparetime again.

Edited by Artificial Intelligence

I don't think they are idiots, just that they are uneducated.

The problem is not the USE of sudo IT is the use off ALL:ALL in the sudoers file giving your browser, p2p SW and mail client root access.

It is basically a root kit pre-installed but most Ubuntu users don't realise that so they are not stupid just uneducated.

And I agree wirh arctic, Ubuntu contributes nothing to Debian and takes everything. It would be nothing without its Debian base but develops deliberatly incompatible packages so its not even a symbiotic relationship but 100% parasitic.

I guess it will kill off Debian before moving onto another host like FC .. and then kill that..

Ubuntu is damaging linux far more than Microsoft ever could ....

Ubuntu developers should be ashamed to be a part of this.

Solarian - thanks for the advice. I disabled everything I could get my hands on, and it seems to have helped a bit (not enough to run KDE yet, though).

I'll give Kanotix a miss for the moment, as my German isn't quite up to working my way through that site and their boards!

ETA: PS specs for lappy in sig.

Edited by Dustpuppy