Ubuntu...?

Not sure if I care to debate anymore, or give a rip if its a fork either.

Maybe Solaris has infected me, dunno but I sure like it :thumbs:

If Ubuntu is a fork, really who cares? One of the biggest sharts anyone can say about it is "sudo" and they don't give enough back to Debian.

The fact remains that they still push patches back to debian propper, if they want to use them and I'm sure they have used them, then cool.

Whilst I don't care for the way they handle sudo, pretty much all the forums for <your>distro have a how-to or advice from someone has been saying the same 5 second quick fix to sudo for years before ubuntu even was a gleam in a dream. So not sure if that really matters much since a lot of users of <distro X> do the same thing cause, su - or su -c "command" has been a pain to some. again I'll have to give this the "who cares" answer.

They have pushed Linux to more people in a good way, than a bad way. It is a very polished desktop and user friendly and still has the stuff for power users. Good mix for most.

I might even give Dapper a try on my lappy soon, I started using ubuntu when it was first released to the public in beta form and I thought it was pretty good then, so who knows, might try it again.

Look, at it this way, there are 350-500+ Linux distributions out there, some of them are forks of forks of forks, who really cares. There is a distro that is compatible for everyone.

In conclusion, I'll say it again "Who cares?" :lol2:

By the way, were on Post 92, maybe we need a bash ubuntu part 2 thread when we hit 100...... ;)

Speaking of that, anyone remember why this thread was open or what is on page 1...... hehehehe

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the original question was:

Hi, i've heard that Ubuntu distro has become very popular, and i'd like to try it, so i'm gathering some info:

- is it easy for beginners (compare to Mandriva/Fedora)?

- does it have graphycal configuration program or is it command line?

- does support some old hardwere like mine (see below)

- any other usefull info - you're wellcome

Thanks biggrin.gif

By the way dapper have hit beta.

There's also Xubuntu with XFCE 4.4 if you want some lightweight.

But not every desktop-user is ready for Linux. :D

Exactly!

Because for the majority, there will be one point in our lives when we have to use MS products. These are seen as an industry standard due to poor government regulation and a clever business/marketing strategy. Ubuntu brings people to linux that possibly wouldn't have considered it before. IMHO this means more to the linux community as a whole than who is a fork of who!

You are right. If one distro is a fork or not is irrelevant for the typical end-user. It was only a technical discussion anyway that does not say anything about the user-friendlyness/usability of Ubuntu. :)

I ended up putting it on my laptop last Friday night, took it off about an hour or two later........ :huh:

So I can't give it any glaring reviews, just not for me it was to sluggish under workloads and that is pretty much enough for me not to like.

Plus it just seems over the past long time now, I've settled on rh/fc for my linux needs and solaris for other *nix needs. They got what I like and do what I want :thumbs: