Ubuntu...?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried it, saw no reasons to prefer it over Mandriva, went back.

sudo was really annoying, and when I set up 'root', I had various errors in KDE,

and there was nothing to mach the ease and speed of use simmilar to MCC

so I just said "meh", installed back Mandrake and have been happy ever since :P

p.s. I think that their logo and default colour scheme sucks, but that's very subjective

Well kubuntu is far from perfect, as most resources goes to ubuntu (gnome). Also XFCE are getting popular on ubuntu. When Dapper arrieve her next months it will have the latest gnome and XFCE. But if people prefer KDE I'll wait untill KDE gets more polish in ubuntu.

sudo was really annoying

About habits I guess. If you're smart you'll set up a root launcher. (gnome)

gksudo /usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator

Then you'll not breaking anything.

p.s. I think that their logo and default colour scheme sucks, but that's very subjective

Aye, it's about taste. Some likes it other don't. But can be easely changed.

If it was me who's should decide the logo it would be like:

dapperdrake.jpg

or

drake2.jpg

(manipulated pictures with help from gimp)

:cheesy:

I know dapper means duck, but in my universe a drake is a dragon :cheesy:

Edit: correcting spelling errors

Edited by Artificial Intelligence

• 1 month later...

Wow. I'm under Dapper Drake and I got XGL+Compiz working fine. Very impressive, and really stable for a beta. :-)

I installed Ubuntu on my laptop a couple of days ago to give it a try-out. It installed very easily, and the default theme was easy to change. Then I hit sudo... which sucks, big time. As others have said, I'm really not happy with the first user account being the root account in all but name. I also found it difficult to set up multiple users, which is necessary as there's two of us using the laptop. When I set up another user I found that as that user I couldn't do things like install programmes or access the package manager - it simply wouldn't launch. And then there was the wireless card that wasn't even detected in hardware...

Suffice it to say that Ubuntu is coming off the lappy today! I'm downloading Suse 10 to give it a try, if that's not satisfactory I'll probably go back to Mandy. Unless anyone has any other ideas...?

Too many quotes, Gowator. 10 is max. :D

Yeah its crap eh? :wall:

Oh well easier to just delete than bother reformatting it. Liike I wasted enough time in the first place and like I really care ...

always wondered why they limit quotes?? guess its just to piss people off ... well it works!

yawn

Well, try Arch Linux. It's not easy to setup if you are a novice, but it's really EASY to manage, once you get a running base system- factly, it couldn't be easier, under any distro!

Admittedly, everything in Arch Linux is DIY, but the whole system configuration is done by editing really FEW, and very well documented configuration files.

It's bleeding edge, and it's very stable, and fast as hell (i686 optimized).